My experience... STAY AWAY!!!!!

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
lbmofo
Re: Re:My experience... STAY AWAY!! & ibmofo idea

Post by lbmofo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:38 pm

nn5i wrote:
lbmofo wrote:I was using the word "provision" in this sense: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisioni ... ovisioning :)
Yes, I knew that. I meant no criticism of you; but some illiterate, inarticulate engineer coined that usage, and for that may his soul rot. He's perpetuating a bad name for all engineers, and I'm an engineer. The usage has become common in certain narrow technical jargons, but still it's execrable, and still it makes my teeth itch.

But I see that it sounded as if my criticism was of you. Deign to accept a humble apology.
Wasn't a problem at all :)

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:04 pm

nn5i wrote:I meant no criticism of you; but some illiterate, inarticulate engineer coined that usage, and for that may his soul rot. He's perpetuating a bad name for all engineers, and I'm an engineer. The usage has become common in certain narrow technical jargons, but still it's execrable, and still it makes my teeth itch.

But I see that it sounded as if my criticism was of you. Deign to accept a humble apology.
Carl, it is great to see that you still have a great compassion and humble attitude. Li is a great guy and a good friend. It is hard to find an engineer of your pedigree who is willing to drift from the precepts of language coined by past UK royalty and give a commoner a break. I hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year. :P

PS: If it would not be too much trouble, I'd like you to send some of your great weather to the Pacific North Wet. We've been having way too much rain here and as they say in the atmospheric phenomenon industry, it sucks! Sun, cloudless skys, even some warm weather would be very welcome!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

EricJRW

Re: My experience... STAY AWAY!!!!!

Post by EricJRW » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:09 am

lbmofo wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:I have dsl. The modem was plug and play.
So you didn't have to call DSL customer service to let them know you had new modem? I wonder if this is the case for all DSL providers now?
That is my recent experience too (in-laws house). Flaky modem... Dropping connections all the time. AT&T would not provide a new one. Bought another one locally (don't recall name). Plugged it it, did a few config things (mode, PPoE credentials) and off it went. No call to AT&T required.
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:54 am

EricJRW wrote:
lbmofo wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:I have dsl. The modem was plug and play.
So you didn't have to call DSL customer service to let them know you had new modem? I wonder if this is the case for all DSL providers now?
That is my recent experience too (in-laws house). Flaky modem... Dropping connections all the time. AT&T would not provide a new one. Bought another one locally (don't recall name). Plugged it it, did a few config things (mode, PPoE credentials) and off it went. No call to AT&T required.
I had EXACTLY the same issues and the same results with AT&T.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

huggybear

Re: My experience... STAY AWAY!! Wayne

Post by huggybear » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:02 am

Oh my, I'm sorry I came back to check if there were anymore ideas. 3 cent stamps may be "no excuse" to you, Wayne, but it was the short version of why I don't understand computer stuff. I can start an IV drip quickly on a very dark black person with no problem, but never had computer classes. I not only can pronounce Amyotrophic Lateral Scerosis, I know what it is & what it does. However, I have no idea how to "cut, copy & paste". When you take care of your retarded grand-daughter, a husband whose confusion is growing more noticeable everyday along with the many other life threatening health difficulties he has, & still need to get the normal household things done by yourself, then perhaps you might be a bit more giving of someone who honestly doesn't know. (This is still the short version of my life.) The brand new modem/router I bought Saturday probably wasn't a "plug & play" or it would have worked with my DSL.
And again, I do thank ibmofo for being the kind & giving person he/she obviously is.

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:38 am

WayneDsr wrote:
EricJRW wrote:
lbmofo wrote: So you didn't have to call DSL customer service to let them know you had new modem? I wonder if this is the case for all DSL providers now?
I had EXACTLY the same issues and the same results with AT&T.

Wayne
I should have added that the new DSL modem solved the drops issue.
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:55 am

huggybear:

I'm sorry things did not go smoothly for you. I've been in forums for many years, and often you have to separate the wheat from chaff. But many times, regardless of how the information is presented, there is a nugget of useful information in almost ever post. The modem install should have been smooth, but there are a few parameters in the setup screen that must be set. Typically though, regardless of settings, the modem should indicate DSL sync (usually a solid green LED). If you see that, you have a bit of reassurance you are on the right track. As I mentioned the biggest issue is the PPoE setting (off or on, if on then you need to fill in the username and password), and whether it needs to be in bridged mode or not (it's best to duplicate this setting from the old modem).

Anyway, should you wish to try again, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to help.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:52 am

I too remember 3 cent stamps, 20 cent a gallon gas..... That's no excuse! :)
Huggybear... notice the smiley face at the end of my comment? It meant that the statement was in "jest". Not meant to offend. Sorry if you were.
But like EricJRW said, there's a ton of people willing to help here.

I think the issue with the new router/modem package was the need to enter your username and password in the router, so it could hook up to your DSL account. Installing the package using the supplied CD is usually the simplest way to install a router. It should walk you through setup of the router. The router/modem package might have mentioned you needed a wired connection to access the setup. This is not always the case and after you turned on the new router/modem rebooting the wireless pc would have caused it to see a new connection. Usually called (Linksys, default, wlan) depending on the make of the unit. You would then chose this connection on your pc (wireless network connection) and hit connect.

Of course once you disconnect your old modem you no longer have our online help, but keep your old modem handy just in case you need to log back on to the internet and say "HELP!"

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:31 pm

southsound wrote:PS: If it would not be too much trouble, I'd like you to send some of your great weather to the Pacific North Wet. We've been having way too much rain here and as they say in the atmospheric phenomenon industry, it sucks! Sun, cloudless skys, even some warm weather would be very welcome!
Dream on. Tonight we expect about 21 degrees F in Tallahassee. In Seattle, fairly near where you are I think, you'll have about 45 according to the forecast I found. Really wanna trade?

Also, it doesn't rain in the Pacific Northwest. It mists. A friend lives in Portland OR (I hope to move there) and claims that they call two inches per day a heavy rain. It is to laugh. In Florida, two inches per hour is an ordinary rain shower. Three inches per hour is heavy. Four inches per hour and we say it's really starting to rain.

If you can detect oncoming cars more than 1/4 mile away (assuming their headlights are on), it isn't raining much.

To repeat, it doesn't rain in the Pacific northwest. The most you get is a settling mist.

***************Edit: actually tonight's forecast is 17 for Tallahassee and 43 for Seattle. Brrr. Robin, I'll trade. I'll even throw in a lightning-storm or two to sweeten the deal.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:03 pm

I guess I'm happier with the weather here than I thought. :shock:

I'll keep what we have for now. :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.