Ooma Hub crashes often when a Google Voice call comes in

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
kirkegrd
Ooma Hub crashes often when a Google Voice call comes in

Post by kirkegrd » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:45 pm

I finally set up my Oooma Hub- I had actually bought it quite a while ago. I haven't signed up for premium yet, but I would do so just to support Ooma because I think it's a great service.

Anyway, I am having a significant problem that makes the service nearly worthless for me unless I can find a way to fix it. I am using Ooma to connect to my Google Voice account (just the normal way, not through Ooma Premier). The problem is, about half of the time when I pick up the phone on a Google Voice incoming call (either a true incoming call, or a call I have initiated from the Google Voice web client and have ring to the Ooma line), the Ooma hub seems to immediately CRASH when I pick up the phone. I then hear the dial tone of my land line which is connected to the Ooma Hub. I know Ooma has crashed because it takes a minute or two for Ooma to reboot and present the Ooma dial tone.

What's strange about this problem is that it is inconsistent-- sometimes Ooma works fine for 3-4 calls in a row, then it crashes for call after call.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to fix?

(If it matters, I am using cable modem attached in the correct way, directly to the Oooma).

murphy

Re: Ooma Hub crashes often when a Google Voice call comes in

Post by murphy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:21 am

Has it updated to the latest firmware yet (39884.39884)?

Is your landline integrated or did you get a new phone number issued by Ooma?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

kirkegrd

Post by kirkegrd » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:17 am

Thanks for responding. I am using the Ooma issued number, my landline is the old number. And as far as the firmware, I actually have no idea - is there a way I can check? (It seemed to work fine when I first set it up, so it's actually possible that if anything the firmware update broke something if it got sent down automatically!). One thing I haven't tried doing is unplugging the landline, but I'm not sure if that will make a difference.

kirkegrd

Post by kirkegrd » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Also, one thing I was thinking was maybe it would help to install Oooma from behind the router. There's not much logic in this other than thinking it would somehow be 'protected' from a packet that is confusing it. But I'm wondering if others have seen Ooma hub work better in the router rather than directly connected to the network

kirkegrd

Post by kirkegrd » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:43 pm

I was able to check the Ooma firmware and I am running the latest version. Also I didn't realize there were all those settings at setup.ooma.com...I wonder if changing some of them might help ,eg using a static IP address

kirkegrd

Post by kirkegrd » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:29 pm

I've tried tinkering quite a bit and am still having this problem. Currently have Ooma set up plugged into router with a static IP, DMZ port open to access setup.ooma.com. Still, completely intermittently, the Ooma crashes periodically when I pick up a Google Voice call. No one else has seen anything like this?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:54 pm

Another user was having the same type of issues (rebooting when picking up phone) when using incompatible power adapter (originally thought the phone was the problem). I suspect that your power adapter maybe bad.

ooma Hub 12 VDC, 1.2A (manual says 1.2A), the adapter I have says 1000mA

viewtopic.php?t=9315

kirkegrd

Post by kirkegrd » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:55 am

thanks...i think you are right! i had pulled my ooma out of an old box and possibly mixed up the adapter! great call and really appreciate would not have thought of that.

kirkegrd

Post by kirkegrd » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:26 am

I just checked the adapter that was on my Ooma...indeed, I somehow had the wrong adapter connected to it, and the output was only 500mA. I poked around and found the original white Ooma adapter, just connected it, got my fingers crossed that that solves the problem. Thanks SO much!

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:15 pm

You need to label all of your wall adapters.
If you plug a high voltage adapter into a low voltage product it will destroy it.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx