International Calling is worthless

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
buellwinkle
International Calling is worthless

Post by buellwinkle » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:17 pm

I tried calling Buenos Aires, Argentina and it rings, rings, rings, thought nobody was answering. Once they actually answered but then redialing the number proved futile. I had them on the other side on Skype tell me it wasn't even ringing when I was waiting for minutes listening to it ring on my side. As soon as I called on AT&T line, it rang immediately.

Then to add insult to injury, it's charging me for 3-5 minutes each time when it's not even connected to the call or even ringing in Argentina. Are they kidding me, is this account fraud or what. It never said in the TOU that you get charged for several minutes each time their system can't even make a connection.

lbmofo

Re: International Calling is worthless

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Charging shouldn't happen until call is connected. So this is bug you can report to customer service and get a credit for the erroneous charge.

Call Customer Service team at 1-888-711-6662 Monday - Friday 7am-7pm PST, Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

buellwinkle

Post by buellwinkle » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:15 pm

In theory, this should never happen. But to make this even worse, their billing system does not know how to do math so it is not smarter than a 5th grader.

For the calls where it never rang in Argentina, I was billed for 2 minutes. So 2 minutes at 2.4 cents a minute comes out to 9 cents, right, if you believe that, you can get a job at Ooom, hahaha. Yes, none of the math is correct when you multiple minutes to rate.

But it gets worse. The published rate to Buenos Aires on their website is 2.1 cents per minutes, so why am I being billed at 2.4 cents a minutes, hmm. Cell phone calls are supposed to be 26 cents, but I was being billed 29 cents.

If you make international calls, check the bills, the math, the rate, for incomplete calls.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:25 pm

The rates looked up do not include a mandated 18% Federal Universal Service Fund (FUSF) fee. There is a connection fee also. The regular connection fee of 3.9¢ is waived for subscribers of International Plans.

buellwinkle

Post by buellwinkle » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:22 pm

That explains the clever math. Maybe on Monday I can find out why calling works sometimes and mostly not others and why I get charged for calls that don't even work.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:46 pm

You can call tomorrow too.