clearwire 1.5 Mbps or 2.0 Mbps or stay away ?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
ntoy
Re: clearwire 1.5 Mbps or 2.0 Mbps or stay away ?

Post by ntoy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:37 am

Hello,

Yes, we've had mixed reactions from customer who have Clearwire or wireless broadband. Works for some & not for others.
We still recommend a wired connection to Ooma.

SafecoFieldRat

Post by SafecoFieldRat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:04 pm

I went to the link you posted but the app did not come up - yes I do have the latest Java. I went somewhere else and got this - 3.9 mbps download, 2.56 mbps upload, between 50-70 ms ping, between 10-15 ms jitter, no packet loss.

mrjagster

Post by mrjagster » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:15 pm

I had Clearwire. Please stay away. They even blocked Vonage's ports when I had Vonage. Then charged me a termination fee when I broke the contract because they told me when I signed up I could do VOIP. Bad way to do business.
ooma customer since September 2007
ooma hardware: Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:18 pm

I have Java Version 6 Update 14 (build 1.6.0_14-b08) and it works. The test is informative if you can get it to work. Upstream and downstream jitter measured separately along with many other VoIP related factors.

HighTestHome

Post by HighTestHome » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:14 pm

Clearwire does seem to be hit or miss. Fortunately Ooma quality has been very good on my Clearwire connection so far.

I've not yet switched, as I've been with the service for several years and have been grandfathered in on a $19.95 WiMax Home upgrade plan (1.5Mbps/256Kbp) with 5 email addresses.

Here's some of my tests. As you see, I still get some jitter, but the Telo seems to do a good job of handling this thus far.

I range between 3 and 4 bars on my Clearwire home modem and rarely get 5.

What I do notice is that several tests give different MOSS results. I may be lucky and have an Ooma POP close by as I suspect it's somewhere closinger to the pingtest.net results than the other test.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 27.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 6.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 5.6 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.5

Shon

Post by Shon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:19 pm

I have Clear and I had the same issues. Through the Clear boards, I found out that my old Uniden cordless phone was interfering with my wireless hub and the Clear modem. After I replaced my old Uniden phone with a DTEC 6.0 phone, it works perfectly.

SafecoFieldRat

Post by SafecoFieldRat » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:23 pm

I have Clearwire with 3.0 Mbps down and 1.0 Mbps up. Maybe I am just lucky but this works very well for me. Most people I talk to have no idea I am using voip until I tell them. My Clearwire modem is almost always showing all 5 lights for signal strength.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:37 pm

I just helped a friend with Clear setup a Telo.

Speed tests showed: ~4 Mbps/~400 Kbps.

With VoIP tests, her downstream jitter measured well under 5ms but upstream jitter measured close to 10ms most of the time.

Talking to her numerous times after setup, the sound quality with her Telo has been very nice even with upstream jitter close to 10ms. I am pleasantly surprised (didn't think Clear was going to cut it). My friend likes the Telo a lot better than the Clear VoIP service she is planning to get rid of.

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Tue May 10, 2011 9:11 am

Thank you for this information. My brother-in-law is considering wireless broadband. Sounds like DSL is not only a better deal cost wise, but will be a more reliable way to use ooma (assuming his fax and data needs can be handled by ooma - I've separate threads on that).
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5