They can't hear me

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
syculmaun
They can't hear me

Post by syculmaun » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:49 pm

After 6 months of no problems,my Ooma hub started having a call quality problem. Starting a couple weeks ago my Ooma phone will stop transmitting my voice during a call, I can hear the other person but they can't hear me. This happens to about half my calls, I could be on a call for several minutes and then it will just drop my voice transmission. Any ideas?

syculmaun

Re: They can't hear me

Post by syculmaun » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:27 pm

I just did a Voip speed test on my internet connection (Charter) and it showed one negative item. The packet loss was 6.6% which is discribed as dropping too much data. I am going to contact Charter to see if something can be done for that.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Your cable modem could be going south.

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:20 pm

This is a known Ooma problem. I call this problem iCHOP syndrome. I can't hear the other party.

- Steve

highq

Post by highq » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:31 pm

There is really no need to bombard the Forum with so many breast-beating messages about your coinage of iCHOP. Once will do, all the others are just irritating.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:23 pm

highq, I couldn't agree with you more.

stevepierce, bombarding the board with your iCHOP syndrome spam posts is really piercingly irritating!

Again,
lbmofo wrote:stevepierce, let's not get carried away here.

I suggest that we don't attribute every reported issue to the same problem you might be experiencing.

I now have 20+ family/friends with Ooma (Telo & Hub) and all of them are enjoying Ooma without any issues. This could be because they are all in WA or northern CA but I am certain the problem you are experiencing is not a system wide but rather isolated issue.

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:06 pm

lbmofo,

This is not spam, this is a careful analysis of post history to identify patterns of call problems specific to callers not being able to hear the person on the other end.

Since May 2010 there have been 34 posts and over 60 different board users that have described the exact same problem.

Less than 5% indicated their problem has been resolved and two of them that said the problem was fixed later posted to say the problem was back.

This failure analysis of past requests for support via the forums shows there is clear and convincing evidence that this is a widespread problem with consistent and frequent reports of the problem going back 8 months.

Cheers!

- Steve

highq

Post by highq » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:18 pm

On this as on any other Forum, many threads start up which duplicate a topic already discussed in prior threads.

Most of us can read and can spot this phenomenon. All you do by repeatedly posting the same message is irritate, annoy, clog, and yes, in the end, that's spam.

We heard you. Stop already.

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:57 pm

highq,

Thanks for your kind post and reply.

It is very true, those people who are not having problems with Ooma don't post to the forum. It is also true that for those that do post, there are far more users with the same problem that are not posting. An earlier poster said this was an isolated and rare problem. By tagging each thread, we could quickly identify everyone that is having the same problem and demonstrate that this was indeed not an isolated nor a rare problem.

I am sorry you perceived the effort to identify threads experiencing the same problem as spam, it was not intended to be that way. By tagging each thread, sort of like tagging birds in the wild, we can start to understand the scope of the problem and look for patterns that can help us understand the problem which will hopefully lead to a fix.

Remember, CHOP and iCHOP are different.

CHOP is can't hear other person and is typically a problem with NAT or Firewall at the customers end.

iCHOP is intermittently can't hear other person which is a problem at the carrier related to account configuration or the carrier exchange point. This is typically NOT a problem at the customers end.

There have been 34 separate threads started solely about iCHOP. So far, over 60 people on this forum have reported they are experiencing iCHOP. Three more were added today.

Cheers!

- Steve
Last edited by stevepierce on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

highq

Post by highq » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:12 pm

You set about analyzing the traffic here so that you can tell us that "there have been 34 separate threads started solely about iCHOP. So far, over 60 people on this forum have reported they are experiencing iCHOP. Three more were added today".

I really appreciate that you invested non-trivial time and effort in order to produce your counts.

One message saying as much is welcome and informative.

Appending more or less identical text to a score of threads is just plain annoying.

[I'll pick another nit, while I'm about it: if I take "highq" as my moniker here, then it's "highq". It isn't "hq".]