Connecting a second Telo device

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
sloan
Connecting a second Telo device

Post by sloan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:37 am

Hello everybody. I’m new here. I recently signed up with Ooma and so far so good. If things go well I will be porting my Vonage number of 7 years to Ooma!  and will probably keep the premier features and use the second line for a fax. I am thinking of getting a second Ooma Telo device and connect my main house number to it. The house number is with my cable company Time Warner. My question is, do I need to get another cable box from Time Warner to make this work?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

highq

Re: Connecting a second Telo device

Post by highq » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:39 am

You can run several Ooma devices over the same pipe to the Internet.

sloan

Post by sloan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:56 pm

highq wrote:You can run several Ooma devices over the same pipe to the Internet.
How do I do that?

Thanks.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:30 pm

Many of us use either a switch or a multiport router. You connect each Telo just like you would a computer, connecting the To Internet port to the switch or router and leaving the Home Network port empty. To avoid problems, connect a computer to the Home Network port of each Telo, go to setup.ooma.com and make sure to select Use Built-in MAC address for the Modem port on the Network page. If you would like to connect to setup.ooma.com without moving a computer to the Home Network port in the future, we can also tell you how to set up port forwarding so other computers on your network can access the page. Also, since nothing will be connected to the Home Network port, you can set QoS to 0 for both up and down to disable the internal QoS engine.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:20 pm

This thread has some info: viewtopic.php?t=9481

sloan

Post by sloan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:11 pm

I reread my post and left out an important part. My cable modem and router are in another room. The second Telo will not be connected to my router. It will be in the kitchen as a standalone so-to-speak, if it works. I called Oomo support and they said that all I need is add Telo handset for it to work and add the line via My Ooma account.

Thanks.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:07 pm

sloan wrote:I reread my post and left out an important part. My cable modem and router are in another room. The second Telo will not be connected to my router. It will be in the kitchen as a standalone so-to-speak, if it works. I called Oomo support and they said that all I need is add Telo handset for it to work and add the line via My Ooma account.

Thanks.
I think you need to give us a little more information. If you are speaking of adding a Telo handset, then great. They are DECT 6.0 cordless handsets and will work in your kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, or garage. But if you are buying an additional Telo (the base unit) it must be connected to the Internet. You could have it in your network closet and use the PHONE port to power an additional cordless base or use your home's wiring (we can help here) to provide dialtone to the kitchen. Please let us know in detail what you are trying to do.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

sloan

Post by sloan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:02 am

I am aware that the second Telo base unit needs to be connected to the Internet. But how does the second unit receive an Internet connection if it's in the kitchen, when my current modem and Telo is in my home office?

Thanks

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:12 am

sloan wrote:I am aware that the second Telo base unit needs to be connected to the Internet. But how does the second unit receive an Internet connection if it's in the kitchen, when my current modem and Telo is in my home office?

Thanks
You need a router.
Modem feeds the router.
The router feeds each Telo base from one of it's LAN ports.
You have to run a LAN cable from the router to the kitchen to feed the Telo base that is there.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:46 am

If you have Premier, then you can assign a second number to a Telo handset (no need for a 2nd Telo base unit).
The 1st number will ring the phone(s) connected to the phone port of Telo and 2nd number will ring the Telo handset only.