A few questions regarding Telo installation

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
jcieutat
A few questions regarding Telo installation

Post by jcieutat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:54 am

I installed my Telo yesterday. I have ATT dsl. The 2Wire modem has four Ethernet outputs. I have a Cat5E cable running from one of the four outputs because in a week or so, I will be dropping an Ethernet line to my living room where I will relocate the Telo. I have already requested to port my phone number. My dsl line is running on separate lines from the rest of the phone jacks in the house.

Here are my issues thus far:

I can make outgoing calls but I cannot receive any incoming calls. I did not set up a temporary number since I am porting my existing number. What am I doing wrong?

I have an alarm system that is monitored buy do not wish to continue to keep paying ATT a dime. Once I drop my Ethernet line, do I need to exit out of the back of the Telo directly into my homes existing phone jack to distribute it throughout the phone lines in order to keep the alarm system monitored?

murphy

Re: A few questions regarding Telo installation

Post by murphy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:10 am

If you did not select a temporary number then you need to connect the AT&T phone line to the wall port of the Telo.

To work with your alarm you need to disconnect the incoming AT&T phone line where it feeds your alarm panel aand connect the Telo phone port to the same place. The phone line MUST go to the alarm system input connection before it goes anywhere else. The house is fed from the alarm panel output connection.

The fact that you have DSL further complicates the wiring. There are many threads on the forum describing how to do DSL connections with the Telo.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

jcieutat

Post by jcieutat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:15 am

I guess my alarm system won't be monitored anymore!
If I connect my phone to the wall port of the Telo I get nothing at all.

When I wired my house I ran one continuous loop from the furthest phone jack to the closest one then back out. So it is one continuous loop. All of my phone jacks and alarm system are on one set of wires and the DSL line is on another set. The room where my modem/router is at has no phone line. It only has the DSL line. I will be running an Ethernet line to our living room where a phone jack is located. My plan was to hook up the Ethernet line to the Ooma and then out of that hook up the Ooma to the home telephone line. Is this correct? I don't have to do it this way if it makes it more complicated. I purposely bought one of the Panasonic phones that has two additional handsets that do not require a phone connection. I could just hook up the primary phone with base to the Telo and that would be it. I just want to run the ethernet to the living room to get the Telo out of my theater room where my cpu is located.

highq

Post by highq » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:57 pm

The wall port of the Telo is ONLY to attach a landline IF and ONLY IF you've got landline integration.

The Telo's phone port is where you want to connect a phone, or a whole bunch of 'em.