Can't disconnect

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
captQuirk
Can't disconnect

Post by captQuirk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:45 am

Hi,
Every since I started this service, I have had trouble disconnecting. If the party I am calling does not hang up (e.g. voicemail), my phone will repeatively ring twice after I hang up. If I answer, I am reconnected to the call. If I hang up, the phone starts ringing, again. Either the calling party drops the call or I must pull out the LAN cable and reboot to make it stop.

I am directly connected to a cable modem with a standard wired phone.

WayneDsr

Re: Can't disconnect

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:47 pm

Have you tried a different phone? It sounds like the phone is not going back on hook.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:54 pm

Some other questions - are you connected to the phone wiring in your home for any reason? Either landline integration (where you use your old number) or to distribute dialtone throughout the house? If either are true, then that might be the cause. If you are distributing dialtone you MUST disconnect your home from the telephone utility at the Network Interface Box.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

captQuirk

Post by captQuirk » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi,
I'm not sure I know what "going back on hook" means. Why am I receiving the double ringing, if my phone did not hang up? I assume that it is in some in between state. If I try to call another number, I receive a message that my plan does not support multiple lines. So, the connection is still active.

The phone I am using is a standard AT&T Slimeline. I am not connected to the house wiring. I did have my original phone number transfered, but the problem still exist.

Thanks

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:05 am

If you don't have a spare phone to test with, after making your call, hang up your AT&T Slimeline phone, than also disconnect and reconnect the phone line to your AT&T Slimeline phone. Than check and see if you get a dial tone (The Ooma sound). This will give an indication as to weather your AT&T Slimeline phone is malfunctioning. Good Luck.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:57 pm

WayneDsr wrote:Have you tried a different phone? It sounds like the phone is not going back on hook.

Wayne
Doesn't sound that way to me. If it were not on-hook (which simply means "hung up"), it could not ring. "On-hook" comes from the early days of telephone service, when "hanging up" actually meant hanging the receiver (or earpiece) physically on a hook that stuck out from the side of the telephone instrument. The weight of the receiver, which weighed a half-pound or more, pulled the hook down, actuating a switch that disconnected the receiver and microphone from the incoming wires, and connected the ringer.

In some areas, depending upon the particular vintage of the telephone company's equipment, all calls work this way -- the connection is maintained until the called party hangs up, even if the calling party hangs up and leaves for Hawaii on tour. Usually this is the case only for long-distance calls. Perhaps the local equipment in the area you called (even if it's where you actually live) regards your Ooma calls as long-distance, since all Ooma calls actually go through Ooma's servers in the Pacific Northwest.

This, of course, is only conjecture, and may be far from the truth -- but I'd give odds that that's what is going on.