They can't hear me

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Bill D
Re: They can't hear me

Post by Bill D » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:28 pm

MikeY wrote:This started happening to me TODAY as well, intermittently
Were your symptoms the same as mine? I've heard the other party fine, but they reported decreasing volume, noise and having difficulty hearing me after several minutes of conversation. "Hang up and call back" solved the problem each time.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Read Post: "fuzzing out" and durring call

See if your Ooma device problems are simular.

MikeY

Post by MikeY » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:40 am

Were your symptoms the same as mine? I've heard the other party fine, but they reported decreasing volume, noise and having difficulty hearing me after several minutes of conversation. "Hang up and call back" solved the problem each time.
No, the other party can't hear me but I can hear them as soon as they answer the call. It actually seems to start happening most often after attempting to make an international call (which doesn't go through).

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:58 am

For those having I/they can't hear them/me problems call Ooma Support at 888 711-6662. Just lately they have been very helpful with this routing/port issue. Be prepared to give calling times and phone numbers to help track problem.

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:50 pm

I really am amazed at the grasping of straws by the "it's anything but Ooma's fault" type of posts. It costs them by the minute to terminate your calls and even a crap call route will cost at least a half a penny per minute. The problems described here since last Summer are consistent with complaints on the voip boards of die hard diy voipers by users who only use grey routes but are surprised at the lack of quality of white or premium call routes and the accompanying reliability, shorter voice lag and less break up, lack of echo and so forth. I've heard a slew of excuses here, modem going south and so forth. If one was to plug a different provider's equipment in and not experience the same thing, it pretty much rules out everything else.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:35 am

Davesworld, fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on what perspective) your "grey route" contention doesn't explain the excellent service all my friends/family are experiencing; Telo & Hub alike.

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:53 am

lbmofo wrote:Davesworld, fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on what perspective) your "grey route" contention doesn't explain the excellent service all my friends/family are experiencing; Telo & Hub alike.
It may or may not, grey routing does not adversely affect everyone the same way or it would not exist at all if it was unusable for everyone every time and the routing can change from call to call. It's just more of a crap shoot depending on who you call. If everyone you call is using Ooma, it won't affect you at all since it is sip to sip and not being routed outside the network which also is in line with the algorithms in the devices that choose the cheapest route of the day as explained by the late Rich B in a business journal interview where he laid out how it works. Obviously sip to sip within Ooma's network is not only the cheapest route but should be of excellent quality.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:08 pm

My 20+ family/friends who joined Ooma do not only call each other Ooma to Ooma. ;)

They are mostly in Seattle area but some in California. As with anyone, they call other landlines, VoIP, and cell phones all the time; they are experiencing excellent quality. Like I said, Hub and Telo alike.

They quit landline, Comcast, Vonage, iTalkBB, and other VoIP services to come to Ooma and have no complaints with Ooma's voice quality. Most of these guys, I either set them up personally or walked them through the setup over the phone. Hence, I'd hear about any issues firsthand. I had 1 such reported issue that turned out to be an aging modem going belly up.

Excuse me for being blunt here but when reading about these "dirt cheap" vs "premium" routing involved in VoIP, it reminds me of folks who'd spend upwards of $100 for a 6' HDMI cable not knowing a $4 monoprice HDMI cable would perform just as well. :P

lc96

Post by lc96 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:54 am

I am suddenly getting this problem. After a few minutes, the other party cannot hear me. Awaiting a reply from ooma on email. Have been using ooma for 18 mos with no problems. passed all the ping/speed tests, ooma has first priority off the modem.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:22 am

lc96 wrote:I am suddenly getting this problem. After a few minutes, the other party cannot hear me.
Without Ooma reporting all details of their problems to us we can't tell for sure, but I suspect this is an Ooma partner/carrier/or gateway problem localized in certain calling areas. This would also explain why some users do not experience the problem.

This problem magically went away for me as quickly as it appeared. Reporting it to Ooma with the time and number info should help them focus on and debug such problems.

My echo test delay has also settled down to 450 ms after jumping much higher (700 ms) for while. Ooma's Ntoy commented that that was a carrier problem.

I've had 3 Hubs for well over a year now. Overall, I'm a happy customer even though Ooma has had a few hiccups and my hat's off to them for their accomplishments in this highly competitive niche during 2010 and I'm looking forward to their continued progress in 2011.