Having some line noise issues ...

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
murphy
Re: Having some line noise issues ...

Post by murphy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:50 am

Those are all good numbers.
That also suggests that splitters are not the issue.

The problem with my Scientific Atlanta modem was that it was overheating.
It gave the low download speed indications that you are seeing.
Is there adequate air flow around your modem?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

linter

Post by linter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:01 am

actually, ever since i moved the base phone off the scout and hooked it up to the core, line quality has improved about 90%, so i think that problem is solved ...

but now what do i do with that scout?

the remaining issue is the 20 second pause b/ dialing and ringing. i've gone to the lounge and unchecked the 10 digit thing. and i do know about the #, which works to an extent. but seriously, there's got to be some better solution out there.

is there?

cactuspatch

Post by cactuspatch » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:02 am

I've had my Telo about 3 weeks. It's activated but I'm still waiting on the number port so I haven't been using it regularly. I don't have it connected to my WALL port but I do have a POTS corded phone connected to the PHONE jack on the back of the Telo. That POTS phone has a lot of 60 Hz line noise that almost drowns out the dial tone and is very annoying in the middle of a call. I did a little investigating and like many on this thread it seems to be power supply noise. I tried building a simple choke on the power line by wrapping a few turns of the power cord around a toroid near the Telo plug, that didn't do much. Since the Telo is located so close to the tangle of wires and cables around my computer (routers, hard disks, computer), I tried unplugging everything except the cable modem and Telo, I still had the noise. Interestingly when I unplugged the corded POTS phone from the Telo and plugged in my cordless POTS phone, the noise/hum was substantially reduced. I guess that phone had much better filtering.

My cable modem is a Scientific Atlanta, I'm not sure its the DPC2100 but it probably is. I've seen a few posts in this forum with some not so favorable comments about this modem. Could it be causing some of the trouble?

Thanks,
Lance

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:26 am

The next step would be to just use another phone. Defective phones are one of the greatest causes of VoIP problems.