can not receive calls from time warner voip callers

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
chadrph
can not receive calls from time warner voip callers

Post by chadrph » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:47 am

whenever someone on a timewarner voip phone calls our number they get a message that says "your call can not be completed at this time". Does anyone know what i need to do to fix this issue?

thunderbird

Re: can not receive calls from time warner voip callers

Post by thunderbird » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:06 am

You need to call Ooma customer service and report your problem. Be prepared to give call dates, times, and phone numbers.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:22 am

chadrph wrote:whenever someone on a timewarner voip phone calls our number they get a message that says "your call can not be completed at this time". Does anyone know what i need to do to fix this issue?
Hello,

I see that your number was recently ported from Time Warner. Please have your callers complain to Time Warner that they are unable to call your number. Your number maybe still listed in their database & they would need to remove it completely.

chadrph

Post by chadrph » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:45 am

i talked to time warner last night and they checked their records and it shows everything ported correctly, they also reset all modem settings to make sure there was not any leftover commands from the old phone service stored in it. before they did that the phone would not ring in our house but the person calling would here a continuous ringing that would never goto voice mail. after the modem reset they now get the your call cannot be completed message.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:57 am

chadrph wrote:i talked to time warner last night and they checked their records and it shows everything ported correctly, they also reset all modem settings to make sure there was not any leftover commands from the old phone service stored in it. before they did that the phone would not ring in our house but the person calling would here a continuous ringing that would never goto voice mail. after the modem reset they now get the your call cannot be completed message.
You can receive non Time Warner calls ok? If so, the call is hitting our network. You will need to escalate up the chain. We deal with the same Vonage issues as well. I suspect this is on Time Warner's backend server side(database) - number routing.

Jerry_NA

Post by Jerry_NA » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:14 am

I hope Norm Toy does not mind my translating his message for non-VOIP speaking customers. If you are receiving calls from everyone except for people who are all on one carrier (like Time-Warner) and you just switched (ported) from that same carrier, the problem is not with Ooma. The problem is most likely a database in the back end of that other carrier's system, not information that customer service normally sees. When you move (port) from another carrier, that company's computer automatically logs that your number is no longer active. That other company has to clear that database setting from their system or else all callers using that carrier will continue to get an incorrect "number not in service" message. This is not a problem that Ooma can fix. Your callers who are that other carrier's customers should call and complain they cannot get through to a working number. Presumably, that carrier will listen to a current paying customer faster than a complaint from a former customer or competitor. (Note that this problem seems to come up repeatedly in the Ooma forums, specifically with Time-Warner and Vonage. A well phrased search can find those other posts).
Everyone, especially Norm, please feel free to correct me if this attempt at translation has any errors. Hope this helps.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:46 am

Jerry_NA wrote:I hope Norm Toy does not mind my translating his message for non-VOIP speaking customers. If you are receiving calls from everyone except for people who are all on one carrier (like Time-Warner) and you just switched (ported) from that same carrier, the problem is not with Ooma. The problem is most likely a database in the back end of that other carrier's system, not information that customer service normally sees. When you move (port) from another carrier, that company's computer automatically logs that your number is no longer active. That other company has to clear that database setting from their system or else all callers using that carrier will continue to get an incorrect "number not in service" message. This is not a problem that Ooma can fix. Your callers who are that other carrier's customers should call and complain they cannot get through to a working number. Presumably, that carrier will listen to a current paying customer faster than a complaint from a former customer or competitor. (Note that this problem seems to come up repeatedly in the Ooma forums, specifically with Time-Warner and Vonage. A well phrased search can find those other posts).
Everyone, especially Norm, please feel free to correct me if this attempt at translation has any errors. Hope this helps.
Hello Jerry_NA,

No, I do not mind at all. Thanks for the detailed explanation!