Was anyone else lied to???

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
hwlaster
Was anyone else lied to???

Post by hwlaster » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:58 am

I WAS TOLD THAT ....
1. If I get any 2-Line Phone that it will guarantee me the instant second line!! That's what I had hoped for but its not doing it. They told me that line two would automatically become activated. Now I am getting told different things by different reps. Some say it doesn't some say it does. I know several people who has OOMA and they have a 2 line phone hooked up to their ooma and it works fine.

2. I was told that phone numbers 1-3 were free and 4-10 is payable. Now I am being told once again by different reps that 1-2 is free and 3-10 is payable. I know for a fact it is 1-3 free and 4-10 payable.

3. I was told that a $20 credit would be on my account just for signing up to try the 411 and overseas calling. It is not there. I contacted sales & customer service. They told me in their exact words, " I am sorry, but we don't promise stupid s**t like that to people. If you want free money go apply for disability." I took offense to that.

4. I was supposed to get a free Telo when I signed up for premier. I was never put on the yearly plan just monthly.

5. I was promised up to 6 months of premier at Best Buy and Customer Service now its showing 2 months.

I WANT MY FREE TELO DAMN IT.

THIS IS JUST SOME OF THE LIES THAT I WAS TOLD...

murphy

Re: Was anyone else lied to???

Post by murphy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:04 am

With Premier you get 2 phone numbers.
Without Premier you get 1 phone number.
All additional numbers cost extra.

You can use a 2 line phone with an Ooma hub and a Scout.
With a hub and 4 Scouts you could have 5 physical phone lines but only 2 of them could be in use at the same time.

To use a 2 line phone with a Telo you would need two Telos.
The second phone line is provided by the Telo Handset.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:51 am

My answers in red below:
hwlaster wrote: I WAS TOLD THAT ....
1. If I get any 2-Line Phone that it will guarantee me the instant second line!! That's what I had hoped for but its not doing it. They told me that line two would automatically become activated. Now I am getting told different things by different reps. Some say it doesn't some say it does. I know several people who has OOMA and they have a 2 line phone hooked up to their ooma and it works fine.
If you want to use a two-line phone two things are needed - first off, you must have a hub and scout (what is called the "core" package. The Telo only has one wired connection. With the Telo, you must use a proprietary Telo handset to access the second line.

2. I was told that phone numbers 1-3 were free and 4-10 is payable. Now I am being told once again by different reps that 1-2 is free and 3-10 is payable.
The second line is only available if you subscribe to Premier. ooma comes with one line unless you pay for the Premier service. You unit did come with a limited Premier trial - but it will not be free forever.

I know for a fact it is 1-3 free and 4-10 payable.
And you know this how? Your source is totally incorrect.

3. I was told that a $20 credit would be on my account just for signing up to try the 411 and overseas calling. It is not there. I contacted sales & customer service. They told me in their exact words, " I am sorry, but we don't promise stupid s**t like that to people. If you want free money go apply for disability." I took offense to that.
Your system may have come with International calling credit. The amount will vary with the promotion. And in all my dealings with ooma, no rep has ever used innapropriate language. I am very surprised that an ooma person did that. Are you sure it was an ooma rep?

4. I was supposed to get a free Telo when I signed up for premier. I was never put on the yearly plan just monthly.
Your need to sign up for annual if you want anything besides monthly - it is not automatic. Also, if you have a hub the Telo handset would do you no good so they don't offer it. They do give you the option of a free port with an annual subscription.

5. I was promised up to 6 months of premier at Best Buy and Customer Service now its showing 2 months.
What does the box that it came in say?

I WANT MY FREE TELO DAMN IT.
You complain about a rep using offensive language and now you are doing it. Also, see above.

THIS IS JUST SOME OF THE LIES THAT I WAS TOLD...
This is why most of us don't believe the robo-reps at BestBuy. Lack of training and incentivised selling equal people telling you whatever comes to mind. Accurace does not seem to be important.

Again, you need to refer to your box for what promotion is included with your system - and if you have the Telo (black unit) it will never give you more than one line on your two-line phones. As murphy said, if you have a hub/scout (white unit) then you can have two wired lines.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

BackupBob

Post by BackupBob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:21 am

I do not believe I was lied to at all.

In the writer's defense, I did find the "second line" feature misleading. It is not really a second line. It is two appearances of one number, that is, each phone on the line has the same number. You can have additional numbers ring to the Telo and each one can be configured its own way. The caller ID on the other end will probably show only the primary number.

For me the second line feature was almost a deal breaker. When I found out the second number could be forwarded to a fax service then I was on board. I do not have the handsets so I can only make one call at a time.

For a while the Website mixed information about the hub and the scout with the Telo. It was rather confusing. It is less confusing now.

A sales person in a store may be mis-informed or just plain not knowledgeable. Some of them simply read the box label and tell you what you could have learned on your own. The best sources of information are the retail box and the vendor's Website.

Any special offer for a free handset, whether made by Ooma or by a retailer, would have terms and conditions and an expiration date. Sometimes old merchandise with old offers is found on shelves so always check the expiration date before making a decision based on the offer.

When making a major decisions such as changing phone service carriers always do your homework. Check with the vendor's Website and read the forums. Google will give you more information that you will ever be able to digest. Try to determine which problems are real and which ones may be of the user's making. Sometimes it is a little of both. For the real problems, decide if they will affect you and, if they will, whether you can live with them.

I checked out Ooma for two months before buying. I called their support line twice with questions related to some unique situations with my telephone setup. I found some problem areas but I decided I could live with them. The Telo has been running for 6 weeks, my numbers have been ported, and the service has been very good.

hwlaster

Post by hwlaster » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:12 am

I got all of my stuff from either Customer Service, Sales, or BB. BTW "damn" is not considered a curse word. So if there is a person who works for OOMA. I demand my stuff that I was promised.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:55 am

Precisely whose customer service and whose sales?

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:01 pm

hwlaster wrote:I got all of my stuff from either Customer Service, Sales, or BB. BTW "damn" is not considered a curse word. So if there is a person who works for OOMA. I demand my stuff that I was promised.
Last time I checked, there are several persons who work for ooma. Only a few frequent the forum because it is a USER forum. That said, I'd be hard pressed to expect a company to make good on promises made by a third party. Best to figure out who said what and hold the appropriate party responsible for what they said. I've found ooma to be very fair in my dealings with them. In my situation, they have never made a promise they didn't follow through with. That is not always the case with promises made by a salesperson. Not that all salespersons are liars, but many are misinformed or just not well trained. And there are a few that just want to make a sale. Best wishes in having your needs met.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:14 pm

Also, my advice, when it comes to deals and offers: "Get it in writing."

I never take anyone's word that I will get something for free.

Also, whenever I call any support or customer service person, I write down the date, time and the person's name. If your claim re: support is true, that info could be very useful (most call centers record the calls).

Lastly, I too have to chime in about the two line feature... It is confusing, but after doing the research here (ooma.com) it all became clear. Ooma just has too many features to sort out before the purchase. Some of the features (the ones important to me, porting, and about the taxes) I learned before buying my hub and some after (there was just too much to learn beforehand).

And now a question. Am I reading this correctly that hub and scout support two-line phones? That is something I did not know. It looks like I am going to go with Premier after all!
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:01 pm

EricJRW wrote: And now a question. Am I reading this correctly that hub and scout support two-line phones? That is something I did not know. It looks like I am going to go with Premier after all!
it is my understanding you can have 2 separate lines with the hub and scout, even more with more scouts, but only 2 can be used at the same time.

I hear many users are happy with this, but it is the older hub, and some users have posted that the line connected to the scout had static or hum. Do some searching here about that.

BackupBob

Post by BackupBob » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:44 pm

EricJRW wrote:And now a question. Am I reading this correctly that hub and scout support two-line phones? That is something I did not know. It looks like I am going to go with Premier after all!
It is my understanding that you could get two or more lines if you had several Scouts. It is unfortunate that Ooma is not offering that sort of arrangement with the Telo. I would have bought one for my second line so it could appear on all of my phones.

The wealth of features that Ooma offers is a bit overwhelming. I had to zero in on the ones I really need. Since it supports almost everything I wanted I took the plunge. I am learning more about the Telo every day. It is really quite a gadget.