Phones other than Telo Handset

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
stubeeef
Phones other than Telo Handset

Post by stubeeef » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:16 pm

We just can't keep using the handsets-they are horrible-from difficulty answering calls mostly. Kids and Wife HATE them.
If we plug in another phone set and use it-how does voicemail work? Now I have a flashing blue light on the Telo Handset-do most modern phones pick up the fact you have Ooma voice mail and notify you or do you use the answering system with the external handset base?
Thanks.
Is there another phone setup that works well with Ooma? I was looking at a Panasonic KX-TG7532B-but not for any Ooma specific reason other than we HATE the Telo handsets. Love my Ooma and the service though.

hackerguy

Re: Phones other than Telo Handset

Post by hackerguy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:25 pm

I have a Uniden 1560 DECT 6.0 phone with 4 handsets. It flashes a red light to let me know if I have voice mail and I can retrieve it from the handset. Have used it for about 6 months with no problems.

stubeeef

Post by stubeeef » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:32 am

Was there a setting on your Uniden that enable it or did it sense it without your adjustment?

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:10 pm

Just about any modern phoneset will sense it; you needn't do anything to prepare it. "Modern" in this context means "manufactured within the last 15 years or so".

stubeeef

Post by stubeeef » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Great, thanks. I wasn't worried about it but wanted to be aware, I appreciate the info!

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:13 am

I have the Panasonic cordless set you are looking at. I use both answering devices. I have my Panasonic set up to answer calls after 4 rings and then I have my Ooma set up to answer calls after 6 rings. I use the Panasonic answering device more than the Ooma due to convenience of my Panasonic base location (kitchen).

The reason I did that is great for me. If I am talking on my phone and I get a flash that I don't care to pick up at the moment, the flash signal goes on for a couple of beeps in my ear, but then my Ooma account picks up the call and I continue on the more important call. The Ooma message is sent to me via email or else when I end my call I dial my own number and listen to the Ooma message.

I love everything Ooma has done for me.

Donna

stubeeef

Post by stubeeef » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:57 pm

How long have you had the Panasonic set? I guess you like it....what do you like the least about it?

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:02 am

There are two things I dislike about cordless phones and that goes for any make or model.
1. they are all black or silver color. - I want more of a choice
2. keeping them clean! - The large display is lovely but needs constant wipes

Seriously, I've had this particular Panasonic set right around a year. I replaced my prior mhz Panasonic set with the new DECT set which I bought on Amazon. I can't say there is anything I dislike about my current DECT Panasonics. I have also purchased 2 different Panasonic sets for a couple of friends who will not shop online. They picked them out, I ordered for them and they have less or different features than mine. I prefer what I had selected in both cases. I also like using my Panasonic handsets to the Telo handsets but have both in use.

I don't have any phone at all connected to my Telo base in my office room. I have my house jacks activated with my Panasonic base in the kitchen and the other handsets in other rooms. I have an older phone tucked away which I've connected once to the Telo to set up my answering message.

Donna

stubeeef

Post by stubeeef » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:04 am

Is there a two line Dect 6.0 that can take advantage of the two lines I now have using a Telo Handset?

http://www.uniden.com/products/productd ... t=DECT4066

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:21 am

stubeeef wrote:Is there a two line Dect 6.0 that can take advantage of the two lines I now have using a Telo Handset?

http://www.uniden.com/products/productd ... t=DECT4066
No.
The DECT interface between the Telo base and the Telo handset is proprietary. It won't work with any other manufacturers product.

The phone in your link would require the Telo to have hardware connections for both phone lines.
It only has a hardware connection for the first line.

If you leave the second number shared you can access it via the hard wired telephone but you can't have two simultaneous calls. That is only possible with a Telo handset.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx