DSL Speed Question

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Bosco
DSL Speed Question

Post by Bosco » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:45 pm

I have ATT high speed DSL and I am supposed to get 6 mb/s? The highest I got was 3.15 a month ago. I had Ooma on it then. But ever since then I consistenly get .51 mb/s. How much should I expect Ooma to pull from my internet speed?

thunderbird

Re: DSL Speed Question

Post by thunderbird » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:56 pm

Bosco:

How do you have your Ooma device setup? Is it Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

If it's Modem-Router-Ooma, you probably would experience little or no decrease of Internet speed/bandwidth.

If you do set it up Modem-Router-Ooma with nothing connected to your "Ooma Home Port", you could experience some Quality of Service issues, but most people don't. If you should experience Quality of Service issues, just ask and someone on this forum will tell you how to make corrections.

Good luck

Bosco

Post by Bosco » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:27 pm

thunderbird wrote:Bosco:

How do you have your Ooma device setup? Is it Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

If it's Modem-Router-Ooma, you probably would experience little or no decrease of Internet speed/bandwidth.

If you do set it up Modem-Router-Ooma with nothing connected to your "Ooma Home Port", you could experience some Quality of Service issues, but most people don't. If you should experience Quality of Service issues, just ask and someone on this forum will tell you how to make corrections.

Good luck
I have a 2wire modem router combo that the Ooma is plugged into. I don't have anything plugged into the home port. I don't have any issues with my Ooma service, it is great. I just want to get what I pay for with ATT. I called the customer service and they were able to increase the speed up to 1.21 Mb/s but that is not good enough. They are sending a technician tomorrow. Do you think Ooma quality of service would increase the speed? I have read a little about QoS and it seems above my ability to figure out. Thanks.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Because you have nothing connected to the Ooma "Home" port, the Ooma QoS has very little or nothing to do with your Home's LAN speeds.

But if you wanted to make sure, you could test your Internet speeds using http://www.speedtest.net/ with your Ooma device connected, than test your Internet speeds with the Ooma device off and disconnected. Than compare the two sets of tests. Probably there will be little difference.

Probably your Internet speed problems are with your Internet provicer or the Modem/Router.

Good Luck

Bosco

Post by Bosco » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:58 am

thunderbird wrote:Because you have nothing connected to the Ooma "Home" port, the Ooma QoS has very little or nothing to do with your Home's LAN speeds.

But if you wanted to make sure, you could test your Internet speeds using http://www.speedtest.net/ with your Ooma device connected, than test your Internet speeds with the Ooma device off and disconnected. Than compare the two sets of tests. Probably there will be little difference.

Probably your Internet speed problems are with your Internet provicer or the Modem/Router.

Good Luck
I did what you suggested and here is my result. With Ooma unplugged I get 2.76 Mb/s download speed and with it plugged in I get 1.39. I have been told by ATT that 2 to 3 Mb/s is acceptable for 6.0 service, which it is with Ooma unplugged. Will the service man be coming out for no reason?

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:31 am

If you are paying for 6.0 service half of that speed is not acceptable. DSL speeds drop the further you are from the central office. I live 5 miles from the central office which makes DSL not possible for me. Make sure that they didn't sell you a speed that is impossible to achieve. IMHO you should be getting between 5.5 and 6.0.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx