Ooma Hub No Longer Allows Playback of Voicemail

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
WayneDsr
Re: Ooma Hub No Longer Allows Playback of Voicemail

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:18 pm

cbrillow wrote:Same problem on Telo. And about 2 weeks after the warranty expires. Now they're gonna want my $ for another year of Premier service on a unit that won't play back messages? :o

This is not going well... :|
Make sure the speaker icon on the top left is not set to low or off. Tap it a couple of times to bring the sound up.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

cbrillow

Post by cbrillow » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:32 am

WayneDsr wrote:Make sure the speaker icon on the top left is not set to low or off. Tap it a couple of times to bring the sound up.
Thank you for your suggestion, however, I am familiar with adjusting the volume and had already tried that before posting. I also tried a power cycle, which also did not help.

In addition, I have call screening turned on and am unable to hear callers leaving a message. Sounds like my Telo is toast. Waiting on hold for customer service as I write.

My warranty expired on December 29th and my Premier service is set to renew in February. If they expect me to purchase another Telo, it's goodbye to Ooma.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:13 pm

I know you don't want to hear this, but as a last resort, band-aid, or crutch, you could drag out that old answering machine that you stored away when you bought the Ooma. :)

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:04 pm

cbrillow, this might work for you. Refurb Telo for $139.99 + $5 shipping at http://woot.com (1 day only or earlier if out).

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:42 am

lbmofo:

Do you know if the Woot Ooma Telo devices are Revision A or Revision B? The Revision B Ooma Telo devices are better even if they are refurbished.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:56 am

thunderbird wrote:lbmofo:

Do you know if the Woot Ooma Telo devices are Revision A or Revision B? The Revision B Ooma Telo devices are better even if they are refurbished.
It dosn't say...it is luck of draw I guess.

cbrillow

Post by cbrillow » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:01 pm

Thanks for your suggestion, thunderbird. As a matter of fact, all I have to do is to change the number of rings to have the answering machine take over -- it's still connected as part of the base unit for my cordless phones.

However, I have a strong inclination is to kiss Ooma goodbye. I haven't been happy with the delay that we've experienced since Day 1, and haven't been able to resolve it. Now this happens. Shame on me for not calling to complain right away, but I chose to take a little time to investigate before calling customer service. I figured it was just a temporary glitch or something. I certainly didn't expect a hardware failure this quickly on something as simple as an audio amp or speaker. But I waited to report my problem for a couple of weeks, not realizing that my warranty was close to expiration. Who is the heck is thinking about these things between Christmas and New Year's Day when we're in the middle of the busiest holiday season of the year? They're certainly within their rights to deny my request for replacement -- technically. Yeah, I'm a couple of weeks late.

But it's not good customer relations. And I'll mention it to the people to whom I've recommended Ooma - some of whom have purchased Telos - and will upgrade my Amazon review to include the hard line that Ooma has taken on this. When I talked to customer service, the reps kept emphasizing that the warranty expired last year, as if that were ages ago. Never mind that 'last year' is still less than 3 weeks ago -- it sounds so much better to them to hammer home the finality of their hasty decision to deny me.

I'd just provided them with an updated credit card number in order to renew my Premier service, and it ain't happenin' now. They already have my $11.75 for the gov't fee, but they're not getting another penny from me. Nor will I recommend the service to any more family or friends. I'd already tempered my initial enthusiasm for Ooma, based upon the delay problem and increasingly frequent occurrences where I'd place a call and the person answering the phone at the other end was unable to hear me until one of us called the other back.

Good for you who have had better luck than I have. Hope it continues for you. I also hope that this thread remains alive for others who experience this same failure in order to compile some stats on the longevity of these units.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:30 pm

cbrillow:

Just a suggestion (But proceed with Caution):

I would suspect that your Ooma Telo inoperative speaker is probably a minor problem.

There are some very simple techniques for troubleshooting this type of problem.

It may be as simple as a “cold solder”, probably at one of the speaker terminals.

If you know someone with knowledge of electronics repair, maybe with their help, you could repair your defective Ooma Telo.

Note: Before opening the Ooma Telo, it needs to be completely un-powered before attempting any repair. Static electricity bonding precautions need to be taken to prevent additional damage to the Ooma Telo.

Good luck

ktinca

Post by ktinca » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Did you purchase your Ooma with a credit card?

Many credit card extends your warranty for an additional year.

You may check with the credit card company.

BTW, is my warranty is coming up in a month? Ooma offers to extend my warranty for two years at $39.99 / year. Is it worth it to purchase?

I can't purchase after the warranty expires, must do it before.
Service/Equipment: Ooma Core / Hub & Scout installed February 2010.
Internet: Charter ISP 10Mbs/1Mbs
Port request: 2/21/2010
Port completed: 3/9/2010

ktinca

Post by ktinca » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Did you purchase your Ooma with a credit card?

Many credit card extends your warranty for an additional year.

You may check with the credit card company.

BTW, my warranty is coming up in a month. Ooma offers to extend my warranty for two years at $39.99 / year. Is it worth it to purchase? I know my credit card will cover for the 2nd year. But not the 3rd. So I would need to purchase for $80 if I want the 3rd year covered.

I can't purchase after the warranty expires, must do it before.
Service/Equipment: Ooma Core / Hub & Scout installed February 2010.
Internet: Charter ISP 10Mbs/1Mbs
Port request: 2/21/2010
Port completed: 3/9/2010