Anyone get random one-ring phone calls?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Zindar
Re: Anyone get random one-ring phone calls?

Post by Zindar » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:07 pm

dalime wrote:No other phone line or carrier other than Ooma.
I wonder; I used to use AT&T as a backup with my ooma, and I eventually cancelled my AT&T account. In another thread here, I outlined my problems getting outgoing and incoming calls to work, which I finally solved by disconnecting the AT&T line from the house at the network interface box outside my home. I therefore wonder if just having an AT&T phone line connecting from the street to the house is enough for some kind of signal in that line to interfere with ooma (explaining the problems and the solution I encountered)... and if that is so, could this phantom signal be causing blank calls?

Maybe you have a phone line like that in your house, even if you don't have another carrier?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Information only:

IP Telesis is a VoIP wholesaler.

See http://www.voip-catalog.com/voip_provider_944.html

I wonder if Ooma uses their services?

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:20 am

And I also wonder if this is also "some calls go straight to voice mail"?

I actually have seen what you are seeing. I have seen some calls go almost straight to voice mail. One ring and then it stops, and then I presume the caller just hangs up and does not leave a message.
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5

dalime

Post by dalime » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Today I got another one of those calls. I checked the call log and the missed call was from my father-in-law whose number has ALWAYS shown up. So I called from my own cell phone and it did the same thing.

When I get the incoming call, the handset lights up and says "incoming call" (no caller id), rings once, then goes back to the home screen as though the caller hung up after one ring. After about three seconds the handset display "incoming call" again (no caller id), and rings the normal preset number of rings before going voicemail.

The Ooma device is not run through any existing wiring in the home. Just straight to the cordless base.
I've power cycled both the Ooma Telo and my wireless base. No changes.

So this is now happening on all calls. Any suggestions from the Ooma team?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Have you called Ooma Customer Service?

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Maybe they can see something from their end.

Let us know what they say.

dalime

Post by dalime » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:01 am

Issue resolved. Turned out to be my Uniden system. Went to the base unit to check the CCID settings and every time it tried, it would crash and reboot.
Tried some test calls and there it was; base crashed on the first ring. When it comes back from reboot, it starts ringing again. That explains the gap in the rings.

Great excuse to go out and buy the Telo Handset. It also forced the old lady to go with the Ooma VM instead of the old school machine. Happy so far with it. Only issue is that the menu is pretty laggy and the display leaves much to be desired. Custom ringtones would be sweet too. C'mon Ooma, we know you can do it.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 am

dalime wrote:Issue resolved. Turned out to be my Uniden system. Went to the base unit to check the CCID settings and every time it tried, it would crash and reboot.
Tried some test calls and there it was; base crashed on the first ring. When it comes back from reboot, it starts ringing again. That explains the gap in the rings.

Great excuse to go out and buy the Telo Handset. It also forced the old lady to go with the Ooma VM instead of the old school machine. Happy so far with it. Only issue is that the menu is pretty laggy and the display leaves much to be desired. Custom ringtones would be sweet too. C'mon Ooma, we know you can do it.

Thanks for the update!
I'm afraid I don't have any details at this time, but I think there's something in the works...

tjnamtiw

Post by tjnamtiw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Are you using the ATT 2Wire Gateway? If you are, that was MY problem with the same symptoms. What was happening to me was that when a call came in, it knocked the DSL off line, which, of course, killed Ooma too. I had huge problems with the crappy gateway and even exchanged it for another one.
I had an ATT installer come out to trouble shoot my line. He said that many people had problems with the 2Wire gateway and he gave me a Motorola Gateway that he uses for commercial customers. I put it on line several months ago and not had a single dropped call or dropped DSL service. My QOS measured by http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html went from around 40% to 100% consistently.