Was anyone else lied to???

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
DawnW
Re: Was anyone else lied to???

Post by DawnW » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:51 am

This is not to offend or belittle anyone, it is simply to state what I have learned in my life through my own experiences:

You HAVE TO do your own homework.

Before I got the Telo I researched and researched websites to get more info before purchasing. I would not call and take a sale's reps word ever....I have been burned that way too....not with Ooma, but with things like TV service and the like.

If you are still within your window to return it and don 't like it, return it.

FWIW: We DO NOT BUY AT BEST BUY unless we absolutely HAVE TO! I hate that place and the sales people have no idea what they are talking about OR they are just trying to make a sale and make stuff up....again, we do our homework first!

We got our Ooma telo from Costco.com.

Dawn

Zindar

Post by Zindar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:07 pm

DawnW wrote:This is not to offend or belittle anyone, it is simply to state what I have learned in my life through my own experiences:

Yes, and I personally like my homework to include visits to message forums used by customers of the product. After reading enough of the posts on the subject, I tend to get a feel for what kind of product it is, how good a deal it is, and have a lot of the more important FAQs preanswered for me.

In fact, I learned about ooma from a different message forum than this one, and I include myself as one of of the happy ooma customers. (I think I've had ooma for about 1.5 years now.) I really like lowering my monthly expenses, and I tend to seek out ways of doing this in a lot of other areas in my life than just ooma. (Of course it makes sense to factor in the one-time expenses, but probably ammortized, reasonable assessments of the deals being offerred can be made.)

DawnW

Post by DawnW » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:14 pm

The way I looked at it was this:

I was using Vonage at $33 per month. Paying $200 for Ooma covered the same as 6 months of service with Vonage....everything above 6 months is gravy!

I have had Ooma for 14 months now. I HAVE had some issues.....it tweaks and shuts off the internet to my computer and we haven't figured out how to make it stop other than to reboot at this point, but it is overall ok.

We don't need premier service, but may when my kids get into their teen years....we will see....but I think Cell phones will be more in order at that point.

Dawn
Zindar wrote:
DawnW wrote:This is not to offend or belittle anyone, it is simply to state what I have learned in my life through my own experiences:

Yes, and I personally like my homework to include visits to message forums used by customers of the product. After reading enough of the posts on the subject, I tend to get a feel for what kind of product it is, how good a deal it is, and have a lot of the more important FAQs preanswered for me.

In fact, I learned about ooma from a different message forum than this one, and I include myself as one of of the happy ooma customers. (I think I've had ooma for about 1.5 years now.) I really like lowering my monthly expenses, and I tend to seek out ways of doing this in a lot of other areas in my life than just ooma. (Of course it makes sense to factor in the one-time expenses, but probably ammortized, reasonable assessments of the deals being offerred can be made.)

kieranmullen

Post by kieranmullen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:40 pm

I hope ooma stays around a little longer than 6 months though. I was only paying $3.99 per month per DID with 4000 minutes free incoming. Pay .01 per min for outgoing. vitelity.com nerdvittles discount.

DawnW

Post by DawnW » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:43 pm

Oh, yes! But I was just comparing. I have had it for 14 months now.

I have no idea what DID means???

Dawn
kieranmullen wrote:I hope ooma stays around a little longer than 6 months though. I was only paying $3.99 per month per DID with 4000 minutes free incoming. Pay .01 per min for outgoing. vitelity.com nerdvittles discount.

kieranmullen

Post by kieranmullen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:20 pm

did = number

One can have many dids but few voice channels.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DID
DawnW wrote:Oh, yes! But I was just comparing. I have had it for 14 months now.

I have no idea what DID means???

Dawn
kieranmullen wrote:I hope ooma stays around a little longer than 6 months though. I was only paying $3.99 per month per DID with 4000 minutes free incoming. Pay .01 per min for outgoing. vitelity.com nerdvittles discount.

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

DawnW wrote:The way I looked at it was this:

I was using Vonage at $33 per month. Paying $200 for Ooma covered the same as 6 months of service with Vonage....everything above 6 months is gravy!

I have had Ooma for 14 months now. I HAVE had some issues.....it tweaks and shuts off the internet to my computer and we haven't figured out how to make it stop other than to reboot at this point, but it is overall ok.

We don't need premier service, but may when my kids get into their teen years....we will see....but I think Cell phones will be more in order at that point.

Dawn

Do you have your computer plugged into the back of your ooma? This is the way the installation says to do it, but if you can, you might want to try plugging your computer in side-by-side with your ooma. This would mean having to have a free Ethernet port on your modem, or by using a small Ethernet switch switch behind your modem (then plug computer and ooma both into the switch). I personally like this configuration better, though it means ooma can't control access to the Internet, which means call quality could suffer if your computer is sending/receiving a lot of data (as in BIG downloads, not browsing activity).
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5