popular talk show seems to favor Magic Jack over Ooma

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Zindar
popular talk show seems to favor Magic Jack over Ooma

Post by Zindar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:14 pm

I've been noticing lately on the Clark Howard talk show (a national talk show that deals with discussing ways of saving money, getting good deals, and not getting ripped off), that more than once, he's talked about ways of saving on your phone expenses, and he keeps pushing Magic Jack as the way to do it. I've never heard him mention Ooma, and it makes me wonder if he's heard of ooma. You'd think he's heard of it, because in his line of work, he's supposed to stay abreast on all the deals out there that help out people with their budgets.

If he honestly thinks Magic Jack is better than Ooma, I don't understand it, because doesn't Majic Jack require installation on a computer, and then leaving that computer on 24/7? That requirement is exactly the sort of incovenient detail that Clark Howard is known for disclosing, and he always like to bring up the pros and cons of everything in a levelheaded way. This is why I'm starting to suspect he hasn't heard of ooma, which is astonishing to me, considering how knowledgable he's supposed to be about these things.

DawnW

Re: popular talk show seems to favor Magic Jack over Ooma

Post by DawnW » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:21 pm

Maybe he gets paid for endorsing Magic Jack. He can keep Magic Jack! I would much prefer Ooma.

He may also, as you said, not be aware of Ooma. I know many who have never heard of it.

We are big Howard Dayton fans and Dh and I actually teach Crown Financial classes, so we are familiar, but he doesn't know everything. ;)

Dawn

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:46 pm

If same Clark Howard, he knows.

viewtopic.php?t=10577

Zindar

Post by Zindar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:53 pm

lbmofo wrote:If same Clark Howard, he knows.

viewtopic.php?t=10577
Oh, so he does know then. I wonder why, of the few times I hear him talk about saving on phone bills on his show, he only talks about magic jack. I see on the video linked in your thread, he gives the proviso that ooma comes with the risk that the company might go under, and then you lose your service.

Can the same be said about Magic Jack, though? What if Magic Jack goes under? He also says in his video that a disadvantage of ooma is that you must have high speed internet in your house for it to work. Does Magic Jack also require that though? I assume it does.
Last edited by Zindar on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:55 pm

Yep.

I think when he was talking about "bust" at the end, he was actually talking about the device because he mentioned "for the life of your ooma" and pointed to the ooma device.

In any case, if you don't want to sound like Max Headroom, better to stick with Ooma.

viewtopic.php?t=10044#p73323

Zindar

Post by Zindar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:07 pm

I guess that's a valid point about ooma carrying the risk that your device could malfunction. I guess with Magic Jack, you just worry about your computer malfunctioning, but that's a maintenance expense that presumably is already borne with or without Magic Jack. Or am I wrong? Maybe there's hardware you have to plug into your computer with Magic Jack. I'd think there must be. So if that hardware goes south, it seems like the same risk you take with ooma.

I'm hoping that if the ooma device malfuctions, I'll be able to repair or replace it. Oh well, there aren't any moving parts, so I hope it lasts a long time, and it sounds like you're saying I may get better sound quality. (Other ooma users I know rave about their good sound quality.), and I particularly like not being forced to leave my computer on all the time. Admittedly the ooma core/hub I own is on 24/7 but at least that device is not being used for a myriad of uses like the computer is, with windows updates etc happening all the time, and other type so maintenace I do that makes me want to shut down the computer sometimes. It doesn't bother me that the ooma hub is left on all the time. (Plus the computer does have moving parts... the hard drive spins while it's turned on, so that's another possible reason for not wanting it to always be on.)

kdmc69

Post by kdmc69 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:09 pm

lbmofo wrote:If same Clark Howard, he knows.

viewtopic.php?t=10577
Ah! Brings back memories! I first heard of Ooma over 2 1/2 years ago while listening to the Clark Howard show. I got a hub and scout package and I was off and running saving a lot of money! Have moved to the Telo and still saving! :D
Ooma Customer Since: August 2008
Ooma Equipment: 2 Telos + 2 HD2 Handsets
Ooma Service: Premier
Amped AC 1750 Router
TWC ->Router -> Telo1
TWC ->Router -> Telo2

Zindar

Post by Zindar » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Oh, so he used to talk about it on his show then. The last couple of times he talked about the subject, he was really pumping up the Magic Jack option, with not even the slightest mention of ooma, so he must have a beef with ooma now for some reason.

bigdoggy

Post by bigdoggy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:27 am

Clark has talked about Ooma MANY times and was an early adopter. He continues to be
a huge supporter of Ooma. I purchased my Telo about 15 months ago after Clark did
a segment on how great it was. Almost anyone who has listened to Clark with any
regularity for a fair length of time has heard positive reports on Ooma from Clark Howard.

Zindar

Post by Zindar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:44 am

Well just in the last 2-3 months, the two times I heard him talk about ways to save money on your landline, Magic Jack was what he pumped, and I listened to the entire segment both times, and neither time was the slightest mention made about ooma. I admit I don't listen to him regularly, but you'd think if he likes ooma as much or more than Magic Jack, he wouldn't have done this. Especially if he like ooma more, he'd mention it first before mentioning Magic Jack. He furthermore has been speaking enthusiastically about Magic Jack about what a great deal it is.