Re: ooma Service Status

Stay informed with the latest ooma feature updates and service status. Note: New Topics cannot be created in this forum.
just4fn
Re: Comments from April 13th 09 Outage

Post by just4fn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:19 am

This is how I got my ooma hub going. 1st I turned off the power for 6 hours. Then I plugged it back in and it was blue! The next day it was red again and I unplugged it for 6 hours again. It was blue! So all you need to do when it is red is unplug it for at least 6 hours. You may have to unplug it for 24 if it is still red when you plug it in. When all else fails, insert the 100.00 dollar bill in front of the hub. That should do it.
Ooma Telo, Hub.
1958 was a very good year!
No cell phone , no land line- just Ooma
all my eggs in one Ooma basket
I lied- my wife has a cell, but not me!! I like my privacy and not being attached to a phone.

tjnamtiw

Post by tjnamtiw » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:20 am

WayneDsr wrote:70% of the people in this forum today are not ever here helping others out with issues. They are onlly here to cry and complain. When all is well they go away and you never hear from them again until there is another reason to complain.
Yes, constructive criticism is great, but the whining is not.

ooma is having issues, ooma will fix.
I'm fully confident in the company.

Wayne
Good one, Wayne. I would guess that Bobby B. hasn't updated the status page because he is intimidated by the finger pointing going on between his company and the service providers and he's afraid of posting the wrong thing. He's probably waiting for someone to make a decision as to what to say. Getting someone to make a decision is always a long process in a corporation, as many of you know. :o)

tjnamtiw

Post by tjnamtiw » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:24 am

parmenides wrote:
tjnamtiw wrote: As for the post that quoted the pissing contest between the service provider and ooma, I found it strange that if it was just ooma, then why was my DSL running at 168k yesterday?????? There was an internet problem somewhere.
Sir, I can confidently say that ooma's problem with their datacenter provider has no correlation with your slow dsl connection. Or the current temperature of your home. Or, your fuzzy TV reception. Or anything else that may have been going wrong with the electronics where you are.
Sir, how can you 'confidently' say that when ooMa uses the same internet as my DSL service, I live near the Atlanta hub, and every 'intelligent' person knows and has lived through other internet outages and slowdowns that affected internet service? You make a lousy argument, poor analogies, and basically don't know what you are talking about. End of comments to you.........................

lobofan22

Post by lobofan22 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:27 am

To not expect problems from tech devices is naive. They happen, plain and simple. My blackberry service was out on Monday, again. I am not going to get rid of it, nor am I getting rid of ooma. I do want to suggest, though, that OOMA do its best to keep this from happening frequently and to do a better job of keeping their customers apprised of any outages. This would help alleviate frustration on the part of customers. My biggest fear is that OOMA will one day be bought up by a bigger company and turned into a monthly fee based service. Just look at Napster as an example now that they are owned by Best Buy. We need to do all we can to support OOMA and talk about the positive benefits we get from having it.

Post by 7322340131 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:33 am

Hello Parmenides, BigFrank and mlnj,
As of later today my OOMA start working again and posted with news. Which you guys are following up and notifying people through this post. Here is more update on news, please see below.

Himanshu
Iam at sayreville nj

News Article I found in Google:

Search Link: http://news.google.com/news?pz=1&ned=us ... &scoring=n

Article Link: http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=510

ooma, Internap Exchange Blame Over Outage

* By David Hamilton, April 15, 2009

(WEB HOST INDUSTRY REVIEW) -- Officials at Palo Alto-based VoIP provider ooma (https://www.ooma.com) and a data center operator in Atlanta, Georgia are pointing fingers at each other after ooma's systems went down Monday.

According to a San Francisco Business Times report, ooma went offline at about 11 am Pacific time and was down for most of the business day Monday, with the system coming back to nearly full strength by around 5 pm. Along with premium services, ooma provides phone service free with the purchase of a $250 ooma box, presumably leaving many businesses without telephone communications.

In a blog post, ooma product management vice president Dennis Peng wrote that all customers were affected and it was the result of Internet connectivity issues at ooma's upstream service provider, Internap Network Services (http://www.internap.com).

On Tuesday, however, Internap spokeswoman Debra Forrester told the SF Business Times that the problem was not at Internap. "There's no way around this. We've got a customer that wants to blame Internap for this outage," Forrester said in a voice message. "We did not have a network outage. No other customers experienced a network outage."

While Internap had no customer outages Monday, Forrester said later that the company would continue to investigate ooma's incident, possibly spurred on by an accusative email from ooma Chief Marketing Officer Rich Buchanan.

Buchanan wrote, "We have the network logs to show that their service was not performing to specification, and that subsequently caused our network outage. It's unfortunate that a network provider with the reputation that Internap has would stoop to such levels to avoid responsibility."

Data Center Knowledge blogger Rich Miller noted that Buchanan even used his Twitter feed to blame Internap for the problems.

While Forrester said it's still unclear whether it was Internap's or ooma's fault. "We will either find out it was indeed our problem, or they will find out it was them," she said.

Peng noted that ooma is taking measures to stop a similar event from happening again. "Discussions have already started on how to make the service resilient to a similar event in the future," Peng wrote. "ooma currently has one data center located in West Coast. We have planned to light up a second data center in the Midwest or East Coast this year, and this outage has served as a stark reminder for us to get moving on that."

Nevertheless, according to customers comments, ooma's finger pointing is not winning it any points, when the company could have provided more information for customers who couldn't make or receive calls. While it's reasonable that there be outages from time to time, according to customer dismay, not being able to contact customer support exacerbated a bad situation.

parmenides

Post by parmenides » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:34 am

tjnamtiw wrote:
parmenides wrote:
tjnamtiw wrote: As for the post that quoted the pissing contest between the service provider and ooma, I found it strange that if it was just ooma, then why was my DSL running at 168k yesterday?????? There was an internet problem somewhere.
Sir, I can confidently say that ooma's problem with their datacenter provider has no correlation with your slow dsl connection. Or the current temperature of your home. Or, your fuzzy TV reception. Or anything else that may have been going wrong with the electronics where you are.
Sir, how can you 'confidently' say that when ooMa uses the same internet as my DSL service, I live near the Atlanta hub, and every 'intelligent' person knows and has lived through other internet outages and slowdowns that affected internet service? You make a lousy argument, poor analogies, and basically don't know what you are talking about. End of comments to you.........................
How close is your refrigerator to the DSLAM providing your dsl service?

I think it is time for the tinfoil hat. Can't hurt.

kagy

Post by kagy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 am

Did anyone experience an outage today - April 15? I woke to find red lights on my Ooma hub and it not working. I power-cycled the box and it came back within a couple of minutes, but my initial reaction was "not again!"
Si vis Pacem, Para bellum

samblackjack

Post by samblackjack » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:38 am

kagy wrote:Did anyone experience an outage today - April 15? I woke to find red lights on my Ooma hub and it not working. I power-cycled the box and it came back within a couple of minutes, but my initial reaction was "not again!"
Mine too. I had to cycle it a couple of times but it's back now.

number9

Post by number9 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:39 am

We are not getting any where fighting amongst ourselves. As ooma users we are to help each other when the powers that be are absent. Please be courteous to each other.

I was out of service for a very short time early this morning. I power cycled once and was back up.

To power cycle: Unplug ooma hub from outlet for 1 to 5 minutes and then plug back in. I also do this with my scout, at the same time,. The hud and scout wil 'cycle' the hub will turn red and flash red on the led, it takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute to fully cycle. If you are back online, the led will go blue. If it does not go blue what few minutes and try again.

Barry
Plays PRS guitars

jpvaughn

Post by jpvaughn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:40 am

Had some issues this morning as well... unplugged and plugged back in, but no luck. Will try again when I get home from work. No biggie...