google voice to Ooma and cell only rings once then dead

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
cnebrandt
google voice to Ooma and cell only rings once then dead

Post by cnebrandt » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:14 pm

I am a new user of GV and Ooma trying to get them to play together without call screening. I can get it to work with my husband's GV number because that has call screening. When I try to test mine when I call from another number (so not looping) it rings the ooma once (actually a half of a ring) and barely rings my iphone (actually just gets the vibration which occurs before the ring).. I hear nothing on the calling phone except a short beep after 14 seconds. Doesn't seem to go to any voicemail. I have tried several settings and can't figure out how to do this.

I posted this on the google voice forum but no one has responded so far.

cnebrandt

Re: google voice to Ooma and cell only rings once then dead

Post by cnebrandt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:07 am

Well no one has responded here either so I have spent HOURS trying to figure out what is happening. IT turns out that I have no problem when the Ooma primary number is used. As soon as I try to use the virtual number I get the problem. I thought that maybe having both primary and virtual checked was causing it so I unchecked the virtual. No difference. I have to actually delete the virtual from my Phones list to get it to work again. I followed the Configuring Google Voice Extensions instructions but this does not seem to work for me.

Can someone explain this?

bhogsett

Post by bhogsett » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:52 am

cnebrandt wrote:Well no one has responded here either so I have spent HOURS trying to figure out what is happening. IT turns out that I have no problem when the Ooma primary number is used. As soon as I try to use the virtual number I get the problem. I thought that maybe having both primary and virtual checked was causing it so I unchecked the virtual. No difference. I have to actually delete the virtual from my Phones list to get it to work again. I followed the Configuring Google Voice Extensions instructions but this does not seem to work for me.

Sorry, I do not have the answer. But I have exactly the same problem. Google voice call rings once, no announcement.

Help please.

Bill

bhogsett

Post by bhogsett » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:08 am

bhogsett wrote:
cnebrandt wrote:Well no one has responded here either so I have spent HOURS trying to figure out what is happening. IT turns out that I have no problem when the Ooma primary number is used. As soon as I try to use the virtual number I get the problem. I thought that maybe having both primary and virtual checked was causing it so I unchecked the virtual. No difference. I have to actually delete the virtual from my Phones list to get it to work again. I followed the Configuring Google Voice Extensions instructions but this does not seem to work for me.

Sorry, I do not have the answer. But I have exactly the same problem. Google voice call rings once, no announcement.

Help please.

Bill
Well, I have now called Ooma support. The advice was to disable call forwarding in Ooma. They did that and said wait 30 minutes. After 5 minutes it is not working--stay tuned.

Bill

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:36 pm

cnebrandt wrote:I am a new user of GV and Ooma trying to get them to play together without call screening. I can get it to work with my husband's GV number because that has call screening. When I try to test mine when I call from another number (so not looping) it rings the ooma once (actually a half of a ring) and barely rings my iphone (actually just gets the vibration which occurs before the ring).. I hear nothing on the calling phone except a short beep after 14 seconds. Doesn't seem to go to any voicemail. I have tried several settings and can't figure out how to do this.

I posted this on the google voice forum but no one has responded so far.

Hello,

It does work if you enable call screening on your account?

bhogsett

Post by bhogsett » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:55 pm

ntoy wrote:[It does work if you enable call screening on your account?
I have call screening selected in Google Voice and I do not think it is working. I still get only one ring on the Ooma phone and then nothing.,

Bill

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:00 pm

bhogsett wrote:
ntoy wrote:[It does work if you enable call screening on your account?
I have call screening selected in Google Voice and I do not think it is working. I still get only one ring on the Ooma phone and then nothing.,

Bill

Hello Bill,

I see you have Google Voice Extensions setup, but the Google Voice pin doesn't appear to be set.

cnebrandt

Post by cnebrandt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:40 pm

So I disabled call forwarding (in Ooma Call Forwarding preferences) and I enabled call screening (in Ooma voicemail preferences). Then I returned to google voice and added my virtual number again and nothing changed. I still get one ring on ooma and one on my cell phone and dead air. I even turned call screening back on the google site but that didn't make a difference anyway. I think the problem is trying to use the virtual number. I just deleted it and added it again to my google list. No luck. Even unchecking it makes no difference. I have to actually delete it so the ooma primary number and my cell numbers are the only ones listed. IT works fine (with call forwarding in case of system failure) if there is no virtual number listed on the google voice site. Add the virtual number and it fails.

bhogsett

Post by bhogsett » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:00 pm

Cnetbrandt, I still cannot get Google Voice to work.

When I delete the virtual number in Google Voice and use only the original Ooma number (and delete the virtual number from the Ooma Google Voice option), the phone rings 4 times and the caller hears my recorded Google Voice greeting.

But there is no caller announcement.

Suggestions anyone?

Bill

cnebrandt

Post by cnebrandt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:51 pm

THe only thing I can think of is to be sure you have call screening on both in the Ooma preferences and in the google preferences. But I can't be sure of anything since I can't get it to work for my phones either.

I don't want the call screening because I find it annoying and it means that I can't use my bluetooth to answer the phone since there is no way to press 1 or 2 on a bluetooth unit.