Lack of communication from OOMA causes SERIOUS concern

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
ooma_try
Lack of communication from OOMA causes SERIOUS concern

Post by ooma_try » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:10 am

I understand problems occur and want ooma to succeed, however if ooma is to survive then they simply MUST communicate with their current customer base. Bad publicity and returned units could kill ooma. Since we can post to the forums, so can ooma. Thus I'm appalled by the complete non-communication about today's problems.

OOMA, are you even reading these posts?? Are you still "in business"??

Please post a correct, current status and let us know that you're still "out there".

Has anybody seen anything from ooma today?

Thanks.

oomg

Re: Lack of communication from OOMA causes SERIOUS concern

Post by oomg » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:20 am

ooma_try wrote:Has anybody seen anything from ooma today?

Yep... blue lights. Lights were red for a couple minutes after I walked in. It appears that the outage occurred sometime during the night. I am not sure if ooma has 24/7 C/S staffing, but believe they will probably expand that coverage in the future.

oomg
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

dleishman

Post by dleishman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:38 am

OOMA officials – You have asked us for our understanding and patents. We have accepted the outage of Monday April 13 and we appreciate the value ooma voip brings to the table as it relates to other providers. We; however, would appreciate an explanation for the interruption and desire a clear method of communication in the event of future outages. We, the ooma customer, were left to collaborate via this forum in order to realize / understand that we were left without service once again. I have read the resume / credentials of the tech staff at ooma and I am clearly impressed with your skill – education and experience, thus, I realize you have the answers regarding this outage but have not update your customer base with the facts. We have taken a chance with you ooma please come clean. I read there was 4 optic cables that were severed on Monday the 13th by thugs, I do not think it is a coincidence that ooma’s outage occurred around the same time frame. I am eager to hear your response.

number9

Post by number9 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:09 am

dleishman wrote:OOMA officials – You have asked us for our understanding and patents. We have accepted the outage of Monday April 13 and we appreciate the value ooma voip brings to the table as it relates to other providers. We; however, would appreciate an explanation for the interruption and desire a clear method of communication in the event of future outages. We, the ooma customer, were left to collaborate via this forum in order to realize / understand that we were left without service once again. I have read the resume / credentials of the tech staff at ooma and I am clearly impressed with your skill – education and experience, thus, I realize you have the answers regarding this outage but have not update your customer base with the facts. We have taken a chance with you ooma please come clean. I read there was 4 optic cables that were severed on Monday the 13th by thugs, I do not think it is a coincidence that ooma’s outage occurred around the same time frame. I am eager to hear your response.
The lines were cut late last week. Here is the article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 16VTE6.DTL
Plays PRS guitars

tsunamee

Post by tsunamee » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:24 am

I read somewhere on this board from Dennis that the outage was between 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. PST, but my red light is still blinking here in Oregon. Tried recyling a couple of times already.

funone46

Post by funone46 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:58 am

number9 wrote:
dleishman wrote:OOMA officials – You have asked us for our understanding and patents. We have accepted the outage of Monday April 13 and we appreciate the value ooma voip brings to the table as it relates to other providers. We; however, would appreciate an explanation for the interruption and desire a clear method of communication in the event of future outages. We, the ooma customer, were left to collaborate via this forum in order to realize / understand that we were left without service once again. I have read the resume / credentials of the tech staff at ooma and I am clearly impressed with your skill – education and experience, thus, I realize you have the answers regarding this outage but have not update your customer base with the facts. We have taken a chance with you ooma please come clean. I read there was 4 optic cables that were severed on Monday the 13th by thugs, I do not think it is a coincidence that ooma’s outage occurred around the same time frame. I am eager to hear your response.
The lines were cut late last week. Here is the article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 16VTE6.DTL

That explains everything. Thanks
Ooma customer since Febuary 2009 - savings so far $ 1000.00
Ooma hardware Hub/Scout
LIFETIME PREMIER MEMBER

c_koby

Post by c_koby » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:52 pm

Its like going to a restaurant and waiting a long time for your food. If your server ignores you and acts like nothing is wrong, you get mad. If the server comes over to your table and lets you know that there are problems in the kitchen but they are working on your order, you may not be happy, but at least you know what the problem is and that they are working on it and have not forgotten you.

OOMA needs to be more proactive with their customers and keep them advised as soon as there is a problem.

ooma-fan

Post by ooma-fan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:01 pm

We know for sure OOMA technical support folks are working diligently in resuming OOMA service during an outage. There are always some unexpected or even unavoidable outage events in this telecom industry, such as the fiber cables got cut. Some might go far beyond OOMA technical support could help. But I agree with the OP that OOMA as service provider can do a better job in communicating any service interruption, instead of letting concern or nervosity spread out.

If the forwarded feature worked during the outage, the tension would be much less...
Lifetime Premier Member

thively

Post by thively » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:08 pm

The fiber cut was on April 10th. I don't think it's related to the failure at Internap's data center which took down Ooma and the the entire Blackberry email (and others) networks on April 13th.