Re: ooma Service Status

Stay informed with the latest ooma feature updates and service status. Note: New Topics cannot be created in this forum.
StealthCycling
Re: Comments from April 13th 09 Outage

Post by StealthCycling » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:44 am

samblackjack wrote:
kagy wrote:Did anyone experience an outage today - April 15? I woke to find red lights on my Ooma hub and it not working. I power-cycled the box and it came back within a couple of minutes, but my initial reaction was "not again!"
Mine too. I had to cycle it a couple of times but it's back now.

Yes my line is down in CA

providco

Post by providco » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:49 am

Was down at first check this morning-then re-powered hub & scout-now everything, o.k. in Studio City, CA.

parmenides

Post by parmenides » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:51 am

number9 wrote:We are not getting any where fighting amongst ourselves. As ooma users we are to help each other when the powers that be are absent. Please be courteous to each other.

I was out of service for a very short time early this morning. I power cycled once and was back up.

To power cycle: Unplug ooma hub from outlet for 1 to 5 minutes and then plug back in. I also do this with my scout, at the same time,. The hud and scout wil 'cycle' the hub will turn red and flash red on the led, it takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute to fully cycle. If you are back online, the led will go blue. If it does not go blue what few minutes and try again.

Barry
Barry:

This is the problem, though:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco ... ily35.html

Power-cycling your hub is equivalent to doing the old Fonzie fist-pound on the juke box to turn it on - may work, may not. It does not address the root of the problem.

Where's the official announcement from ooma? Surely they're all out of bed on the West coast by now.

Possum

Post by Possum » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:55 am

Woke up to flashing red tab, power cycled and now it's blue. Life is good here in So. Calif.

As others have already said, expecting 100% perfection where technology is involved is not realistic. I didn't throw out my first (or second) computer just because MS-DOS displayed the "blue screen of death" with infuriating frequency.

I love ooma and intend to remain a customer for the long haul.

oomg

Post by oomg » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:01 am

Possum wrote:Woke up to flashing red tab, power cycled and now it's blue. Life is good here in So. Calif.

As others have already said, expecting 100% perfection where technology is involved is not realistic. I didn't throw out my first (or second) computer just because MS-DOS displayed the "blue screen of death" with infuriating frequency.

I love ooma and intend to remain a customer for the long haul.
Good point. I seem to recall that Bill Gates was giving a presentation (maybe unveiling a new OS) to a large group when he blurted out an "OOPS!" when his system went down. Can happen to the best of them.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

niknak

Post by niknak » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:07 am

As I mentioned elsewhere, one time an ice storm took out the phone lines and it was 3 or 4 days before Verizon came to rewire the line from the pole to the demarc; 3 or 4 hours, I can live with! (of course I have cell phone backup)! Network outages are a fact of life, so to all the newbies, I would say don't be discouraged that you experienced two outages in two days with OOMA. Unfortunately you signed on at a bad time, but once things are fixed, they will probably be as reliable as any other network service.

arlane05

Post by arlane05 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:08 am

Let us not forget the reason we all purchased the ooma system, if not to stick it to ma bell and the other greedy telecom trolls.Two outages is not a bad track record considering the good service we have had in the past. I can only say that a few years ago during the major hurricanes here in Florida we lost regular phone service for 2 weeks and when we tried to reach customer service we got a recording that they were aware of the issue and would get to it as soon as possible. I had my power and internet back before I or my neighbors got our phones back, if we had had the ooma we would have had the only working phone in our area at that time.

Another point to make is I know people who buy this unit and use it overseas to have a local phone line to the area code of their choice, some of these people live in third world countries with the worst phone and internet service, since their internet service is often more modern than their phone system, using ooma becomes a reliable way to have a phone. Their internet does go down more frequently than here at home and they sometimes must deal with outages of days to weeks before service is restored. Lets count our blessings that we have this service available to us and keep the belly aching to a minimum.

paul15000

Post by paul15000 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:22 am

I agree with your comments and think OOMA is a good product thus far. However, this is not an entirely free service, we have all paid money for the equipment. OOMA should be posting regular status updates during the outtage giving accurate up-to-date info on the problem. They have all of our email addresses so it is no great feat to accomplish that.

I provide telephone tech support to my customers, I do not wait until a problem is resolved before I answer their calls or emails. If I did that I suspect I would quickly lose customers. Being proactive in dealing with customer concerns goes a long way toward keeping customers happy.
arlane05 wrote:Let us not forget the reason we all purchased the ooma system, if not to stick it to ma bell and the other greedy telecom trolls.Two outages is not a bad track record considering the good service we have had in the past. I can only say that a few years ago during the major hurricanes here in Florida we lost regular phone service for 2 weeks and when we tried to reach customer service we got a recording that they were aware of the issue and would get to it as soon as possible. I had my power and internet back before I or my neighbors got our phones back, if we had had the ooma we would have had the only working phone in our area at that time.

Another point to make is I know people who buy this unit and use it overseas to have a local phone line to the area code of their choice, some of these people live in third world countries with the worst phone and internet service, since their internet service is often more modern than their phone system, using ooma becomes a reliable way to have a phone. Their internet does go down more frequently than here at home and they sometimes must deal with outages of days to weeks before service is restored. Lets count our blessings that we have this service available to us and keep the belly aching to a minimum.

ftbutler

Post by ftbutler » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:25 am

I became an ooma user about a month ago and am still waiting for the local number port to finish, hopefully soon.

I have been very pleased with the services and features that are offered. I'm also a premium subscriber for now.

I manage a large data center and understand that sometimes there are outages. Some planned and some not planned. Hopefully the ooma managment realize their single points of failure and addresses them. The argument that it's a free service so live with it only goes so far. Like I said I'm paying for premium so it's not free to me.

I think the ooma management need to communicate better when these types of outages occur. When I saw the red 1 and 2 this morning I didn't know what was wrong. I checked my router, hub, patch cables, rebooted and looked at logs. If there had been a post on the ooma forum or support site I would have stopped right there and realized that it was their issue, done. I would have been fine with that. Now I know I wasted 30-45 minutes troubleshooting something that was not my problem.

We're mostly adults ooma, we can handle an outage, just be forthright and communicate with us like we're communicating back to you.

Thanks,

lromero314

Post by lromero314 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:34 am

Is the outage still going on? I'm in San Diego, CA and my Ooma is still not working. Does it need to be rebooted after an outage for it to work again?