2nd line rings while on phone - how to see caller id

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
boyajan
2nd line rings while on phone - how to see caller id

Post by boyajan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:59 pm

I must be overlooking this somehow.. but if I am on the phone, and the 2nd line is ringing... how can I tell who is calling without picking up the line?... Caller ID on portable phone will not show because I am on an active call....

Thank you!

murphy

Re: 2nd line rings while on phone - how to see caller id

Post by murphy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:04 pm

Does your phone support call waiting caller ID?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

boyajan

Post by boyajan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:09 pm

I believe so; prior to ooma, my telephone service had call waiting, but that beeped & the number would show up. With the second line... it's as if the phone doesn't "know" there is another call coming in. But maybe it's a matter of me playing around with the phone receiver....??.... I will take a look tonight.

niknak

Post by niknak » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:28 pm

boyajan wrote:... it's as if the phone doesn't "know" there is another call coming in...
Could be the originally you only had 1 number, so if you are on the line, call waiting signalled new call and caller ID showed up

Now you have 2 separate lines...so like you said the first line doesn't "know" there is a call on the second, separate line

just my thoughts

boyajan

Post by boyajan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:24 am

So it seems it was a "phone" issue. When the second line rings, most phones will display the caller id of the second call coming in. Pressing "flash" gets you to the other call & puts the current call on hold. Flash gets you back to the other line.

niknak

Post by niknak » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:31 am

boyajan wrote:So it seems it was a "phone" issue. When the second line rings, most phones will display the caller id of the second call coming in. Pressing "flash" gets you to the other call & puts the current call on hold. Flash gets you back to the other line.
When you say "line" did you really have 2 lines with 2 different numbers, or was the phone company just signalling your in-use line that you had a second call?

it sounds like your new setup is 2 separate lines with 2 separate numbers, so for sure the first number would have no idea that the second number was ringing, or know anything about the caller id info on the second number

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:08 pm

If the second line rings, you will hear the call waiting beep on the phone in use and you will see the number on the phone in use also. That's how it has always worked for us. I'm assuming that you're talking about the second line feature on a shared scout rather than a second number on a dedicated scout.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber

boyajan

Post by boyajan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:20 pm

Exactly... I am referring to the second line feature on shared scout. And yes, it does exactly what you describe - the same as call waiting. For some reason, one of my phones was not behaving that way. Problem resolved... thank you!!!