How can GV forward to Ooma and cell phone with just one ring

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
cnebrandt
How can GV forward to Ooma and cell phone with just one ring

Post by cnebrandt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:47 am

Is anyone able to get their cell phone to ring more than once with this one-ring GV extension updated system?

Is this new or is this the way Ooma has always responded to GV forwarding?

For those who have not followed my problems setting up Ooma to work with GV which I posted in google voice to Ooma and cell only rings once then dead,here is my problem:

I want GV to forward all calls to my Ooma and my iphone. THis is not working properly. AFter hours and days of trying to get this to work I finally discovered why when I was shown the brand new "google voice extensions updated" page. My misery was compounded by not having a Telo Handset or being in the same room with the Telo. Because that is the only way you hear the call screening happening after the one ring. That is bad enough. But even worse is that because of this (new?) one ring system, the other phone which Google should forward to thinks that the call is answered and then only rings once (or vibrates) and then loses the call. THis is awful because it means that GV is no longer able to really forward to any other phone.

What is everyone else doing about this?
Cindy

murphy

Re: How can GV forward to Ooma and cell phone with just one ring

Post by murphy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:32 am

Don't use Google Voice Extensions and it will be closer to what you want.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

cnebrandt

Post by cnebrandt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:06 am

THanks for the suggestion, but then when you call someone the callerid shows your ooma number which is just too confusing and defeats the whole purpose for using google voice. I already found that the main reasons I wanted premier are useless. My bluetooth can't work with google voice because there is no way to answer and input a 1 to accept the call. And I would rather have the iphone call forwarded from google voice instead of ooma so I can use just one google voice number and people can reach me no matter where I am.
Cindy

cnebrandt

Post by cnebrandt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:37 am

I just tried something which works for me. THe only problem is that who knows when Ooma will mess it up. WHen I was trying to get the GV extensions set up, the only way I could get it to work was to only have my primary Ooma number listed with google voice even though I had the virtual number linked with my google voice number in My Ooma. I figured this was wrong since the "old" configuring GV extensions page said that I had to have the two numbers linked which meant I could only use my Ooma virtual number not primary number as a google voice phone. I just tried this again and I can receive the call with my iphone, I get more that 1 ring on my Ooma so I don't have to be in the same room as the telo, and the callerid on outgoing calls is still the virtual number. So now it works - I just hope it continues to work since I have not set it up the way if should be.

Now I am going to try to see if I can turn off call screening so I can use my bluetooth to answer my Ooma. That would be perfect.
Cindy

bhogsett

Post by bhogsett » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:05 am

cnebrandt wrote:I just tried something which works for me. THe only problem is that who knows when Ooma will mess it up. WHen I was trying to get the GV extensions set up, the only way I could get it to work was to only have my primary Ooma number listed with google voice even though I had the virtual number linked with my google voice number in My Ooma. I figured this was wrong since the "old" configuring GV extensions page said that I had to have the two numbers linked which meant I could only use my Ooma virtual number not primary number as a google voice phone. I just tried this again and I can receive the call with my iphone, I get more that 1 ring on my Ooma so I don't have to be in the same room as the telo, and the callerid on outgoing calls is still the virtual number. So now it works - I just hope it continues to work since I have not set it up the way if should be.

Now I am going to try to see if I can turn off call screening so I can use my bluetooth to answer my Ooma. That would be perfect.
Cindy
I'll try your latest configuration. But I am about to call it a day and return my Ooma.

Bill

cnebrandt

Post by cnebrandt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:14 am

I figured I should update this as I find out what works and what doesn't.
Good news: If I turn off call screening on google voice Calls page I can answer the phone using my bluetooth.
Bad news: By not using the GV virtual number as the number on the GV phones list, I can't access voicemail from the Telo.

THe bad news is fine with me because I get a text msg on my iphone showing the text of my voicemail, my husband however will have to access GV online to get messages if I set this up for him.

Now I am going to make a suggestion to Ooma that they make the one-ring business an option so that I can still use the virtual number and get all the benefits without that one-ring obstacle that means I can't forward to my iphone too.
Cindy

cnebrandt

SOLVED GV and Ooma problem of just one ring

Post by cnebrandt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:35 am

So it turns out that I forgot to disable Auto Answer after Ooma replaced my first Ooma virtual number with another. I had assumed it was still disabled but it was not. Thanks to lbmofo I almost have it all working the way I wanted. So I am posting it here for others who might want to see how it was resolved. I found it frustrating to search for help and find that there were sometimes no answers, just similar problems on the forum. To see what I am talking about go to:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10689

I hope this helps others.