mobile SIP VoiP android phone

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Maybel
mobile SIP VoiP android phone

Post by Maybel » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:55 am

Hello, can anyone tell me the name of a good mobile SIP VoiP android phone that works with Ooma? Any feedback you can give would be welcome. I want to replace my cell phone and go with one of these, instead,

Thanks for your help, as I have no idea what I just said. :D

thunderbird

Re: mobile SIP VoiP android phone

Post by thunderbird » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Not quite sure what you want.

Probably should call customer service as to what will work and what won't.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:39 am

Ooma doesn't provide users with the credentials to use SIP applications, but it does have its own Android application. Search the Android Market for "ooma."
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

Maybel

Post by Maybel » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:31 pm

Thanks for the response, Thunderbird. Truthfully, though, I'm not sure of what I want either. Those are just words I saw on ebay.

Customer support? Now why didn't I think of that? LOL. Nice idea. Do you know what I like about Omma's customer support? Although I have never talked to them by phone, I can tell their employees care about their customers. I know this by the way they come on this user forum and try to help people. That says a lot in my mind.

Yeah, I knew I had to stick with the androids, DTMF (thanks for your reply, btw). What I am wondering now is, do I need to get an android phone that has a good esn? I mean don't cell phones with wifi go on the internet without needing to be activated by a provider? If so, couldn't I just use the mobile app without activating the phone? Thus, not needing a provider? You know, similar to how a tablet would work with the app.

I hope that makes some sort of sense. It does in my brain. If not to you, maybe customer service. :-)

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:36 am

My android phone (Motorola CLIQ) will work over WiFi with it's SIM card removed.
On the other hand my old Motorola RAZR, which is not a smart phone, comes up to a message that says Please insert SIM.
The only thing it can do is dial 911.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

doug

Post by doug » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Maybel wrote:couldn't I just use the mobile app without activating the phone? Thus, not needing a provider? You know, similar to how a tablet would work with the app.
A major caveat here is that currently ooma only supports outgoing calls via the iphone and android apps. Second caveat is that without 3G data coverage, you could only place calls when you have wifi coverage.

If you are OK with those limitations, then yes, I suspect you are correct. It would essentially be similar to those who use the ipod touch to run the program, except you would not need to use a headset since the device does have a mic.

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:27 am

doug wrote: It would essentially be similar to those who use the ipod touch to run the program, except you would not need to use a headset since the device does have a mic.

The 4th generation iTouch has a mic.

Maybel

Post by Maybel » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:11 am

Hmmmm. So it sounds like I need to get an android phone, that is also a smart phone. I can handle that. However, if I were to get a little (a lot?) more creative, could I do more?

I don't get a lot of calls on my home phone or my current cell, so what if I gave out my home phone as my cell phone number, too. Then, had my home phone transferred to my cell phone, while I was out and about. (That is, assuming one gets a phone number with ooma mobile. If they don't I'm out of luck on this one.) Would my phone ring for incoming calls then? Is there a way to have the home phone ring at home and have it forwarded at the same time? (I'm probably reaching for the sky here.)

Also, regarding the 3g data coverage vs the wifi coverage, would some kind of hotspot solve this dilemma?

Again, thanks for all of your shared knowledge. I am learning a lot.