How long have you had your Ooma?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Glacier
How long have you had your Ooma?

Post by Glacier » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:23 am

I wanted to ask this question prior to buying one but could not sign on these boards. I have read many times about failure of these units after a year. It will not be a cost or time savings if this needs to be done every year or so. I realize there's always a handful of units that may fail but wanted to know what the experience of others has been. Thanks!

nn5i

Re: How long have you had your Ooma?

Post by nn5i » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:39 am

I've had my Telo since last May, and have had no hardware failures. I've been on the forum since last May, too, and have seen very few mentions of failure of the hardware. There have been one or two. I don't know how many people are on the forum, but surely there are a few hundred at least; perhaps very many more. Many of them have had Ooma devices for a couple years. So the failure rate seems low enough; I don't worry about that at all.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:45 am

My Hub was 2 years old in January.
My Telo is 1.5 years old.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:28 am

My ooma hub is over 2 years old and still running fine.

I also have a Telo about a year old. No problems.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

cbrillow

Post by cbrillow » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:31 am

Mine (Telo) failed right at warranty expiration time. (1 year)

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:33 am

I saw one on eBay that was still ticking after 4 years: viewtopic.php?t=4118#p72436

2spirit

Post by 2spirit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:17 am

My Telo has been performing well for about 14 months . . . no hardware issues whatsoever.
Telo w/ 2 Ooma Handsets
Annual Premier Subscriber

Boondocs

Post by Boondocs » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:44 am

Og Hub is over two years and Telo is about a year. Both are still running fine.
Telo - primary phone since Feb 2009
Core - gave to sister April 2010
Lifetime Premier Member

zten

Post by zten » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:35 pm

My Telo died at about 4 months of age. I've had a new one since Christmas eve. It has not failed. Its REALLY hard to make any general conclusions on reliability of the device by these posts. Generally, people log in here becuase they have a problem. Very few log in to repeatedly say "my ooma is working great". So you might get a feel for the size of the numerator by adding up all the complaints herein, but you have no idea how big the denominator is. Only ooma knows what their MTBF is.

From my limited knowledge base, I made two changes when I got the new ooma in December. I put it on a UPS, and I also now run it with the blue backlights off. The former is a guess that at the moment I lost power and the ooma died, it was in the middle of a firmware update. How unlucky would that be? VERY unlucky, but possible. Now I should only have a possible issue if I lose power for more than an hour. The latter change was just becuase of the observation that the ooma telo runs kinda warm. turning off the backlights cools it down quite a bit. Cooler is better.... but now I am in on this investment for about 12 months of phone bills. I will break even in September.

circlef

Post by circlef » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:12 pm

I've had 1 Hub and Scout since January 2009 and 1 Hub and Scout since February 2009 and both are working fine and I've never had a hardware problem. The only problem I've had is what to do with all that money I've saved since I axed AT&T ;)
Member since January 2009 - Yep!
Premier Member - Yep! - Core and Scout =2 - Yep!
Saving Money - Yep! a lot - Love Ooma - You Bet!