Missed call, message left but not on system AGAIN!!!

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
mtnmedic
Missed call, message left but not on system AGAIN!!!

Post by mtnmedic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Getting mighty sick of this. It's happening all over again.

Anyone who calls my home rings through once or twice then automatically goes to voice mail. They leave a message. But there is NO message on the system. It doesn't get delivered to me. The call log marks it as "missed". I spoke to one caller and she said that at one point earlier my phone would ring and ring and ring for a very long time and she gave up. She then called again later and then as she started to leave a message, she got some kind of error message from the system and then was forwarded to my cell phone then left a message there.

Nothing has changed with my system. I haven't done anything to it. The privacy (calls go to voicemail direclty) setting is NOT on at the Telo.

This person called me again just now and the phone rang twice and then went quiet. She called again and I spoke with her and she said when she called, it rang a couple of times and immediately went to voice mail. She left a message. I have NO indication a message was left. The log shows it as "missed".

WTF IS GOING ON??? i'M EXPECTING AN IMPORTANT PHONE CALL FROM MY VET ABOUT MY PET''S LAB RESULTS THAT WILL DICTATE WHAT HIS MEDICAL CARE WILL BE TOMORROW.

THIS IS BAD, BAD, BAD!!!! OOMA...FIX YOUR CRAP!

lbmofo

Re: Missed call, message left but not on system AGAIN!!!

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Déjà vu: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10535&p=73047#p73049

What did CS say about no VM left?
What did CS say about your multi-ring? Is it really turned off? Because it could be going into some cell phone VM.

mtnmedic

Post by mtnmedic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:10 pm

lbmofo wrote:Déjà vu: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10535&p=73047#p73049

What did CS say about no VM left?
What did CS say about your multi-ring? Is it really turned off? Because it could be going into some cell phone VM.

I haven't talked to CS again about this new outcropping of the same old situation, yet.

My multi-ring is on. I never turned it off. Not sure where you got that from. This is the way my system was set up from the get-go and it has worked beautifully for over a year: home phone rings the cell phone at the same time. Home answering picked up first because I set the cell phone to rine more times before its answering picked up. Anyway, late last year, this situation cropped up out of the blue and I couldn't fix it, no matter what I tried. All my settings were unchanged from the beginning and nothing new happened here in the way of network, cell phone, etc. I called CS back then and they couldn't offer any explanations regarding the lack of voice messages. They did a couple of test calls and that worked. Since then the problem seemed to have gone away. Now, all of a sudden it's returned for no good reason.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:24 pm

If you can change your cell phone vm greeting to something distinct, you can maybe ask your caller what VM they went to. You have no VM on your cell either?

mtnmedic

Post by mtnmedic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:30 pm

lbmofo wrote:If you can change your cell phone vm greeting to something distinct, you can maybe ask your caller what VM they went to. You have no VM on your cell either?

Been there, done that already. From the first time around. My home outgoing greeting and my cell outgoing greeting are each unique and different.

As for voice mails on the cell, I have four from the same person who I was having trouble with earlier today. She's the kind of person who gets confused easily and doesn't follow directions very welll. But I do know that she gave up on my home phone because it rang and rang and rang with no answer and called the cell l directly and left a message there. BUT I suspect-possibly-that at least one of the messages may be a pass-through from Ooma. Not sure. I'll have to experiment with my sister, who's better at helping me with my troubleshooting steps.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:50 pm

The important thing about multi-ringing cell phone is that unless you require pressing a button to answer, the cell phone VM may answer your Ooma calls right away. Many times, even when there are full bars, cell phones may not ring and go directly to VM.

mtnmedic

Post by mtnmedic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:55 pm

lbmofo wrote:The important thing about multi-ringing cell phone is that unless you require pressing a button to answer, the cell phone VM may answer your Ooma calls right away. Many times, even when there are full bars, cell phones may not ring and go directly to VM.

I undertand this fully. I've always had cell phone set to answer without requiring me to press a button to answer. Never had a problem before until the one period late last year and now. But the one time before NO messages went to the cell phone. I am only speculating that at least one message went to my cell phone this time around but I'm not sure. The one caller tends to give up easily and calsl an alternate number to leave a message there.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:46 am

Sometimes the Ooma device's "Send to Voicemail" becomes "confused".
Press the Envelope button for about three seconds (to change the logic state) until it change color to yellow. Than change it back to color blue. Test using your cell phone.

If the problem continues, contact:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

mtnmedic

Post by mtnmedic » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:27 pm

thunderbird wrote:Sometimes the Ooma device's "Send to Voicemail" becomes "confused".
Press the Envelope button for about three seconds (to change the logic state) until it change color to yellow. Than change it back to color blue. Test using your cell phone.

If the problem continues, contact:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
Interesting. Well, I tried that and it seemed to work but I'm not wholly convinced that's the problem/fix. It could've cleared up sometime during the last 24-36 hours during which I haven't had any phone calls, much like it did the last time this happened. But this suggestion is something more to go on than what I've had in the past so it's something to try next time this occurs. Thanks. I was getting frustrated there. Just think of the people who are waiting for potential employers to call with a job offer and they miss that one opportunity because the employer leaves a message and the voice mail doesn't get delivered.

mtnmedic

Post by mtnmedic » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:43 pm

I spoke too soon.

After following the above suggestion, I called my mom and had her call me then leave a message. That worked out like it should. Phone rang the appropriate number of times and then stopped ringing. She said she got my normal home voice mail and left a message, which I did get.

HOWEVER...about a half hour later, my phone rang just once and then went silent. I checked the phone for caller ID. Nothing. IThe last call coming in that it showed was my mother from earlier today. I had to go to the Ooma call log to find out who called. Turned out it was my sister on her cell phone and it was marked as "missed". I called her right back and she said that when she called, it immediately went to my normal home voice mail and she left a message. But I never got any indication a voice mail was left.

So the problem is either back or is continuing. I'm going to do the privacy button re-set and see if I can get my sister to call me back.