Hello All, Porting

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
jblock312
Re: Hello All, Porting

Post by jblock312 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:29 pm

When you first got dsl, it was probably added to existing phone service, or else you bought them both at the same time. If that's the case, then your dsl service and phone service share the same account number. AT&T will not release a phone # for porting while it is shared with another service, therefore, you have to establish a new dry loop account with a new number. I suspect they do all this to make it more difficult for you to discontinue your phone service with them. After porting to ooma, we got stern letters from AT&T telling us what a foolish thing we had done.
AT&T used the same procedure for us as you - they wouldn't do it any other way. First install the new dry loop, then port the number. I tried ordering the port while the account was shared, and got rejected by AT&T. What a mess!
There is some service overlap for a few days. At least this way, if there is a delay in porting, you won't lose any service. A tech has to come out because they will put your new dsl on the other pair of wires coming to your house. They didn't charge anything.
I agree, it would be much simpler to keep the new dsl on the same wires you're using now. AT&T could just switch dsl accounts, and not have to send out a tech. For some reason, they can't or won't. Perhaps where you live, they are able to coordinate your service switch so that it all happens at the same time. That would really be great!
Hope it all goes well for you.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:03 pm

highq wrote:... please refrain from asking folks to bare themselves.
Oh, I don't know. We're all friends here.

danlisman

Post by danlisman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:15 pm

49panrider wrote:I am new here so bare with me, I have got my ooma up and working with one landline.I have my phone and DSL on the same line. I got in touch with AT&T this morning 1/31/11 and they are going to come out Feb. 11th and put a dry-loop in for my DSL so I can keep my same phone number. My question is if it takes 3 to 4 weeks for the porting to take place should I go ahead and start the porting now with ooma or should I wait until I have the dry-loop installed? Thank's
If you are sure you want to change to Ooma, go ahead and start the Ooma porting process now. If you are trying to get porting and dry loop scheduled for the same day, AT&T is more flexible about scheduling than Ooma is. After Ooma gives you a porting date, you can probably reschedule AT&T to match.
I went through this process recently and am not 100% satisfied with Ooma, yet. I think the savings will eventually be worth the struggles, but Ooma seems to have some problems that they will not admit to. Check other topics here at the forum.
Dan
Get rid of satellite/cable. Buy DVR to Pause-Rewind-Record live antenna HDTV.
http://MustardTree.eCRATER.com

49panrider

Post by 49panrider » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:51 am

I am wanting to port my number now that I have a dry-loop everytime I go to the add-ons I get a massage,(We're sorry, there was a problem processing the page), can anyone help. Thanks

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:48 am

49panrider:
There seems to be some problems with "MY Ooma".

Call to report problem and help with porting.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:27 am

49panrider wrote:I am wanting to port my number now that I have a dry-loop everytime I go to the add-ons I get a massage,(We're sorry, there was a problem processing the page), can anyone help. Thanks
You can try clearing browser cache & history to see if that helps.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:45 am

Hello,

We had some issues with My Ooma>Add-Ons page. It should be back up.