What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
lbmofo
Re: What thread is Ooma referring to? - audio delay fix (?)

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:54 am

9093900003 will likely give folks real life results.

9252590082 is on beta version of Ooma's PureVoice servers (echo application) to help isolate issues with high round-trip delays mostly intended for beta and other testers; this would not give you real life results.

horsecore

Post by horsecore » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:42 pm

Bobby B wrote:There is an upgrade coming to our central calling servers that should improve the delay a bit for Telo users. After the upgrade completes, we'll also send out an Ooma echo test number that you can use to measure delay. We're also still investigating different ways on how we can further decrease the round-trip voice delay.
So, has this fix been implemented? If not, what is the status of it?

This thread has been stagnant for nearly a month...

I've tried many of the suggested fixes over the course of the last 6 months since owning my Ooma Telo but all have made little difference.

Vitals:

Setup: AT&T 2WIRE 3600HGV -->Ooma Telo in port 4

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6165104 bps
Upload speed: 1422576 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 46 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 88 ms
Average round trip time to server: 88 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 12800000bps
Route concurrency: 2.0762017
Download TCP forced idle: 54 %
Maximum route speed: --

QOS settings have been set to 0 (they were previously modified to reflect the results of the download/upload speeds but since the home port on Ooma was not being used, there was no need to have these values populated).

The 2WIRE firewall for Ooma has been disabled.

Using OpenDNS.

I'm sure I've forgotten to list some of the steps I've tried but this is the bulk of them. Conversations are painful at times, always talking over one another due to the delay.

Any further input would be appreciated.
Last edited by horsecore on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danlisman

Post by danlisman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:51 pm

It looks like a Purevoice change is part of the Telo 43368 firmware release.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10775
Get rid of satellite/cable. Buy DVR to Pause-Rewind-Record live antenna HDTV.
http://MustardTree.eCRATER.com

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:19 pm

horsecore wrote: Any further input would be appreciated.
My Hubs measured 400ms delay before December 2010 and then increased to 800ms (with no change of anything on my end) and they have measured about 800ms since then.

I'm living with it and hoping for it to improve back down to where it was. I'm stumped by other folks that report very low measured delay. I've had no other Ooma problems with any of my 3 Hubs in 2 houses for 18 months.

bonflizubi

Post by bonflizubi » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:39 pm

danlisman wrote:It looks like a Purevoice change is part of the Telo 43368 firmware release.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10775
how do you check teh firmware version on your telo?
ooma noob

onoccasion

Post by onoccasion » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:49 pm

bonflizubi wrote:how do you check teh firmware version on your telo?
See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10759#p74900
Last edited by onoccasion on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonflizubi

Post by bonflizubi » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:53 pm

onoccasion wrote:[quote="bonflizubi]how do you check teh firmware version on your telo?
See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10759#p74900[/quote][/quote]

thanks
ooma noob

jhphone

Post by jhphone » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:41 pm

horsecore wrote:
Bobby B wrote:There is an upgrade coming to our central calling servers that should improve the delay a bit for Telo users. After the upgrade completes, we'll also send out an Ooma echo test number that you can use to measure delay. We're also still investigating different ways on how we can further decrease the round-trip voice delay.
So, has this fix been implemented? If not, what is the status of it?

This thread has been stagnant for nearly a month...

I've tried many of the suggested fixes over the course of the last 6 months since owning my Ooma Telo but all have made little difference.
Any further input would be appreciated.
My Ooma call quality has been deplorable. This is most especially due to the record-setting echo duration and the pre-Twentieth Century half-duplex transmission. Like others reported here, I experience many calls where I cannot hear the other party or vice versa after five or ten minutes. There is also an annoying echo that I have never experienced with any other phone.

I am extremely disappointed with Ooma's awful performance. It's the worst phone there is.

Today I measured round-trip delays:

909-390-0003 (Verizon, S Calif) 822 ms <--- "more realistic"
925-259-0082 (Ooma, N Calif) 332 ms <--- "Ooma test number"

Ping www3.ooma.com 16 ms <--- Ooma voip system

I could run the VOIP test again, but I always get 3.9 or 4.0 with low jitter time, etc, so I won't repeat that here. I live in N Calif in the 650 area code, same as Ooma, and believe that my location cannot be causing the problem.

You cannot blame the long delay, half duplex transmission, echo, and loss of connection on my internet connection. It's in Ooma's system. Absolutely.

We've been promised improvements over many months, to no avail.

Ooma is a terrible product.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:11 pm

jhphone wrote:My Ooma call quality has been deplorable.
I am extremely disappointed with Ooma's awful performance. It's the worst phone there is.
I live in N Calif in the 650 area code, same as Ooma, and believe that my location cannot be causing the problem.
You cannot blame the long delay, half duplex transmission, echo, and loss of connection on my internet connection. It's in Ooma's system. Absolutely.
I'd bring your ooma to a friend's house with high speed internet and check it out. If still terrible, you may have a point.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Information Only:

Delay, Echo, and one-way (both parties can’t speak and be heard on the phone at the same time) conversations, are most often caused by half-duplex speeds.

Ooma uses full-duplex VoIP Internet speeds.

The first place to look for these kinds of problems is in the home’s LAN.

Many older Modems and Routers only functioned at half-duplex speeds.

Newer network devices are usually programmed or configured to auto-negotiate half-duplex or full duplex speeds.

Even with some newer Modems and Routers, all it takes is one older half-duplex printer, half-duplex switch, computer LAN network adapter card set to half duplex or other half-duplex device, connected to you home’s LAN, that will degrade your whole LAN to operate at half-duplex speeds. Some times the older half-duplex printer, switch, computer LAN network adapter card set to half-duplex, or other half-duplex device, doesn’t even have to be turned on, only connected to the home’s LAN with a network cable, to degrade you home’s LAN to half-duplex. In most cases it doesn’t matter weather the Ooma device is positioned ahead or behind the home’s router.

I have an old half-duplex networked printer that when turned on, will sometimes slow my LAN network to half-duplex speeds. Most times when the printer is turned off, the Full-duplex speeds will return automatically, along with Ooma voice quality. But sometimes, I’ve had to reboot my router, which is a newer low end commercial router, up to three times to bring back full-duplex speeds.

If you notice that when you have every device on your home’s LAN disconnected, except your Modem and Ooma, and you have rebooted both, that your delay is much less, you may have a Lan Network device degrading you network to half-duplex speeds.

Don’t forget your modem. Especially if it’s older, it may be operating at half-duplex speeds degrading your home’s LAN and your Ooma’s QoS.