Glitch? Allowed me to listen in on another call.

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
FerrariGuy
Glitch? Allowed me to listen in on another call.

Post by FerrariGuy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:12 pm

I have an Ooma Hub at home. It's been fantastic for almost two years now, but today something odd and a bit frightening happened:

I called FTD (800-736-3383) to deal with a delivery issue. I was on hold for about 15 minutes with the FTD background music and notices that they were having issues confirming deliveries; when suddently what I thought was the customer service rep picked up: "Hello this is Steve,...."

I began to talk, but it didn't sound like he was listening and started talking about a cable box, and if a problem had been going on for a while....

"Huh? Steve? Can you hear me?"

Steve "Ok Nancy, may I call you Nancy?..."

And there the conversation went on for about 15 minutes... Steve.. a Cox communication rep from New York was helping Nancy reset her cable modem & set top box.... I could not hear Nancy (or barely could hear her), She clearly could not hear me, and Steve could not hear me, but I could hear him clear as a bell.

What happened here? Could Nancy have had an Ooma? It certainly doesn't make me feel secure about phone conversations...

~Paul

lbmofo

Re: Glitch? Allowed me to listen in on another call.

Post by lbmofo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Unless Nancy had DSL or some other ISP, she would have needed the cable modem to work while talking to Steve if she was on Ooma. What happened at the end? Did you hang up or did you finally talk to someone in FTD?

FerrariGuy

Post by FerrariGuy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:56 pm

lbmofo wrote:Unless Nancy had DSL or some other ISP, she would have needed the cable modem to work while talking to Steve if she was on Ooma. What happened at the end? Did you hang up or did you finally talk to someone in FTD?
Makes sense. She clearly had cable. Whatever resets "Steve" did apparently got her TV working again. She apparently didn't want to check the other downstairs TV. Steve & Nancy said their mutal thanks and apparently hung up leaving me with an open, but quiet line with no one else there. After asking if anyone was there a few times I just hung up.

Some sort of routing glitch?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:00 pm

This would be only a guess. Since you got connected to the FTD toll free number, it is more likely something got botched with FTD's service provider more than Ooma's snafu?