Ooma App Android

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
70 buick
Ooma App Android

Post by 70 buick » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Looking into the Ooma app for WiFi phone 4.99. Can any explain the Ooma features? I understand that I need a certain phone. What is the cheapest phone to carry Ooma app without a Data plan. Thanks in advance... 70 buicks (Jim )

Lilly's_Closet

Re: Ooma App Android

Post by Lilly's_Closet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:59 pm

70 buick

Post by 70 buick » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Those are ugly statements from the thread you provided. Any phones that can use ooma app without a data plan?

Lilly's_Closet

Post by Lilly's_Closet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:29 pm

70 buick wrote:Those are ugly statements from the thread you provided. Any phones that can use ooma app without a data plan?
Iphone -both ATT and Verizon force a Data Plan on you. With the Android again both ATT and Verizon force a data plan on you, I am not sure about some of the other carriers for the Android (may want to check with Sprint, T-Mobile, and Virgin Mobile they all have droids.

Only ATT and Verizon have the Iphone. If you are looking for a phone then the Iphone and Adroid are your only options

I have also posted a listing to the FAQ above.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:38 pm

If you own the phone outright (buy from eBay for example), you are not required to sign up to a data plan; just need a voice plan and use wifi. You'd need to make sure to turn off cellular data capability so you don't accidentally consume lots of data on pay as you go plan and pay through your nose as a result.

70 buick

Post by 70 buick » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Ibmofo, have you subscribed to the Ooma app? If so, what is your opinion?

Lilly's_Closet

Post by Lilly's_Closet » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:49 pm

On a pay as you go plan, yes this is possible however, on a contract ATT use to allow no data Plan with Certain phones that not considered smart phones but were in fact smart phones like the Nokia phones. They have since discontinued this policy.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:19 pm

My Motorola CLIQ, which is on T-Mobile, will work on WiFi with it's SIM card removed.
Without a SIM card it has no connection to T-Mobile.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:19 pm

70 buick wrote:Ibmofo, have you subscribed to the Ooma app? If so, what is your opinion?
I enjoyed the previous iteration of the app (before the HD) much better. Now, I am having issues with remote system understanding my DTMF entries; also the voice quality is a bit choppy. It may have to do with my iPhone being very old (3G). Not sure but I will find out when I upgrade my hardware. I have yet to test the voice quality on my friends' iPhone 4s; I plan to do that soon.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:20 pm

Lilly's_Closet wrote:On a pay as you go plan, yes this is possible however, on a contract ATT use to allow no data Plan with Certain phones that not considered smart phones but were in fact smart phones like the Nokia phones. They have since discontinued this policy.
If equipment/phone is your own and you are not under any contract, they can't force you to sign up to any data plan.