Strange voices from Ooma

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
terryh
Strange voices from Ooma

Post by terryh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:44 am

I was sitting at my computer and suddenly hear a recorded voice. Thought I moused over some stupid audio spam, but instead it was my Ooma Telo, that sits next to my desk, talking without provocation. Can't recall the message exactly, but I think she said I didn't have any messages. I didn't ask, and was a little startled by it. It also showed both lines in operation when we only have a single. I have the Telo answering system set to maximum rings so our answering machine in the front room will retrieve all messages instead. I had never heard the Telo voicemail recording before. Is this normal, perhaps an auto-update/reset side affect? I unplugged and reset the unit afterwards. Seems fine now.
Last edited by terryh on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

lbmofo

Re: Strange voices from Ooma

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:08 am

Was it "You have no messages?" Maybe you hit the Telo's play button accidentally?

terryh

Post by terryh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:17 am

lbmofo wrote:Was it "You have no messages?" Maybe you hit the Telo's play button accidentally?

No chance. It's 6 feet away and clear of any obstruction/debris. Hopefully, it was just a random anomaly. As for what is said, I was trying to figure out who was talking instead of what was being said. It seemed longer than "you have no messages", I just played that back myself, the voice sounded different. What other messages are possible? There aren't any personal messages to play back.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:31 pm

Was the voice coming from Telo or could it have been from a phone connected to your Telo? Reason I ask is if you pick up the phone connected to the Telo and push the play button on the Telo, you get the Ooma lady talking too.

terryh

Post by terryh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:57 pm

Thanks for your suggestions Ibmofo. No buttons, no interaction, no other pohne, zip.... the Telo talked on it's own. Both lines 1 and 2 were red, and if I recall now, a call came in from a friend moments later. The recording played several seconds before the phone actually rang. Strange deal I guess.

cbrillow

Post by cbrillow » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:59 am

This also happened with my Telo at roughly the same time that it lost the capability to playback voice messages at the end of last year. It's almost certain to be a coincidence, but it may have been the last time that it was able to play audio of any kind.

We were sitting at the kitchen table, approximately 10 feet away from the Telo, and had not placed or received any calls for several hours before it happened. We heard a voice with a mild accent make a reference to "international calls" and the fact that our service wasn't configured or that we didn't have sufficient credit in our Ooma account to place one. Truthfully, we didn't hear the entire message, because we were so surprised trying to figure out where the voice was coming from. We've never had any reason to place or pay for international calls, so we were doubly-shocked.

So, terryh, take heart -- some of the others might think you're imagining things, but my wife and I believe you! :D

Rob.Stewart

Post by Rob.Stewart » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:11 am

Brand new ooma telo user (2 days now). My telo beeps intermittently. No idea what it indicates.

Sometimes the telo, just on its own, says "you have no messages". The unit is 5 feet away,
next to the Uverse router/wi-fi to which it is plugged in, and nothing can touch the top of
the telo unit.

This is a refurb unit, maybe it is bad?
Any techs monitor this forum? Any ideas?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:38 am

Rob.Stewart wrote:Brand new ooma telo user (2 days now). My telo beeps intermittently. No idea what it indicates.

Sometimes the telo, just on its own, says "you have no messages". The unit is 5 feet away,
next to the Uverse router/wi-fi to which it is plugged in, and nothing can touch the top of
the telo unit.

This is a refurb unit, maybe it is bad?
Any techs monitor this forum? Any ideas?
Intermittent Ooma Telo beeping is not normal.

First try removing power from the Ooma Telo. Then repower the Ooma Telo and test.

If that doesn't work, temporarily try connecting the Ooma Telo directly to the Modem, using a network cable. Temporarily remove power from the Router and leave it disconnected.

For testing, if you are using a cordless phone set, disconnect the cordless phone set and remove power from the cordless phone base. Use a corded phone for testing. Also if you have a wireless phone set used with another phone service in your home, disconnect power from that phone set base also.

Make sure that the Ooma Telo is positioned at least three to four feet away from all electrical and electronic equipment and test.

If none of these suggestions helps, your Ooma Telo is probably defective. Since you just started using the Ooma Telo, it probably still falls within the one year warranty period.
Contact Ooma Customer Support, or take the Ooma Telo back to the store where your purchased it.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob.Stewart

Post by Rob.Stewart » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:07 am

I will try your suggestions, the ones that are appropriate.
I have already disconnected power to the unit. Still beeps. (No idea how I am supposed to 'test'.)

- The uverse router is also the modem, so I can not connect the telo any closer than it already is.

My connections are as follows:

wall-->--AT&T uverse wi/fi router/modem combo box

AT&T uverse wi/fi router/modem combo box to +-->--cable wire rg59 output to other room tv boxes
AT&T uverse wi/fi router/modem combo box to +-->--Ethernet to ooma telo
AT&T uverse wi/fi router/modem combo box to +-->--ethernet to in-room tv box

ooma telo to +-->--standard plug in Western Electric phone
ooma telo out to ethernet gigiswitch

ethernet gigiswitch to +-->-- PC-1
ethernet gigiswitch to +-->-- PC-2
ethernet gigiswitch to +-->-- PC-3
ethernet gigiswitch to +-->-- Printer
Last edited by Rob.Stewart on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:12 am

Maybe not related to your current issue but don't connect anything to the Telo's Home Internet port.

Connect your Gigabit switch to another ethernet port on your Uverse Residential Gateway.