Dial Tone through out home

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
cbreeze
Re: Dial Tone through out home

Post by cbreeze » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:38 pm

What kind of tool does one need to open the network interface box? It is locked by a screw that is round, with no notches that you can use a regular screwdriver to open. I had ATT land line and I have ported to Ooma and want to get all jacks with Ooma dial tone. I have a separate box for DSL.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:56 pm

The Network Interface Box has two sides - a customer side and the utility/telco side. The customer side uses a regular flat screwdriver. You will not need to open the other side because the only connections you need to deal with are on the customer side.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

cbreeze

Post by cbreeze » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:35 pm

Mine only has one door. It is only 3 1/2" by 5 1/2". There is a name Siecor by the screw.
There is a DSL box adjacent to this Telephone Network Interface box.

I have a scout that works in the back room.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Very unusual. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, they sell a nifty set of about 32 security screw drivers for a standard hex driver handle. I think they were about $5 in the store when I bought my set. Very helpful in dismantling nearly anything that the manufacturer wants to keep private. If you don't have a Harbor Freight nearby, you can also order from their website.

Lifetime Premier Member

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:22 am

[quote="southsound"] Merely disconnect these modular plugs from the jacks. This will isolate your home wiring from the telco. Now, just to be safe, place a note that says, "Do not reconnect telco wiring. Doing so will damage customer equipment!"/quote]

Southsound - I was surfing the forum and saw your quote. Placing the note in the the NIB is a great idea! - This should be added to the quick start guide - I'm putting one in mine today - Thanks! ;)
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

voipneubie

Post by voipneubie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi,
New Ooma user. Trying to get my parents setup so that Ooma is distributed throughout the house. I believe that they have AT&T as their phone provider currently, but I believe that their NID is a Verizon box. They are currently using Comcast for internet and AT&T on their landline. We are going to port their number to the Ooma system and then disconnect the outside phone service from the NID. I have reviewed posts and cannot figure out what cable(s) I need to disconnect to do this. I have taken a few pictures. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_0858c.jpg
IMG_0858c.jpg (26.11KiB)Viewed 7180 times
IMG_0859c.jpg
IMG_0859c.jpg (38.49KiB)Viewed 7180 times
IMG_0857c.jpg
IMG_0857c.jpg (29.02KiB)Viewed 7180 times

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:00 pm

The little swing-away plugs on the left side replace the older short wire with a modular plug. If there is room in the housing, you can just swing the bottom one out of the way and it will disconnect the home wiring. If not, then just clip the white/blue pair on the LEFT side and tape the ends to keep out moisture or from accidental short. Your home is wired in a "daisy chain" topology which means that the single cable goes from jack to jack to jack. Do NOT mess with the wires on the right hand side. These belong to the utility.

And lest we forget, welcome to ooma and to the forum!
Lifetime Premier Member

ateganda29

Post by ateganda29 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:31 pm

i'm joining this thread regarding distributing ooma dial tone through out home. my landline number successfully ported. yay! i'm also in the process of moving to a new house and am able to bring my long time landline number to my new home. yahoo! this new home i'm moving into obviously does not have any phone service. i followed the instructions about disconnecting the modular plugs from the telephone box even if there's no actual phone service in the house. before anything else, i connected a phone to a wall jack to make sure that there's no dial tone whatsoever (just in case). nothing. so i then connected my ooma to my router and plugged to a wall phone jack. i then plugged a phone to a wall jack but didn't get a dial tone. tried different wall phone jacks to no avail. i removed the wall jack from the equation and plugged the phone directly to my telo. sure enough i get a dial tone. so i'm thinking the phone wiring might be faulty. how can i check and possibly fix this? would really like to distribute the ooma dial tone through out the house. thanks in advance!

highq

Post by highq » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Can you say that you did NOT use the jack marked "WALL" on the Telo?

ateganda29

Post by ateganda29 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:09 pm

i have the new telo equipment so i only have the "phone" jack and not "wall". so yes, i used the "phone" jack behind the device. sorry, forgot that the older equipments had two jacks behind the device.