Incoming NOT coming

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Re: Incoming NOT coming

Post by 883 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:29 pm

Well,

I must say that Ooma is one of the greatest things since sliced bread and I really think it is outstanding that we have this forum to share concerns.

I had been working with Ooma customer support and the efforts on their end have really impressed me. I had no idea that the efforts would be as focused, one on one, etc. as they were. That said, our progress was halted. Since the one caller kept getting a quick busy (systems busy) signal when he would try to call me from his land-line, there was no log of the call attempts on the Ooma system (however this all works) and so Ooma techs. could not evaluate the calls... I was advised to have the caller contact his carrier to ask them about the challenge.

However, this never happened because he tried again today and the calls are coming through. We will leave well enough alone for the time being. Still, even if I was paying a good bit more for the service (which I did with Vonage) I would still be pleased with the quality of everything else (including the customer care experience), but the fact that I can say this WHILE NOT paying anything remotely close to the competition just makes me that much more pleased/enthusiastic toward Ooma.

The fact that there are others experiencing a similar challenge to the one I had and that we can cover it here certainly suggests that there's more that can be done to make Ooma even better.

For those of you who have posted similar problems in this thread, I for one would really like it if you could continue to post any updates regarding your situation if updates develop.

Thanks again.

scottmil

Post by scottmil » Fri May 27, 2011 8:37 pm

Our daughter just tried to call us and got a busy signal from Ooma, even though we were not using the phone. She called back a few minutes later we received her call just fine. My spouse also has noted that she has picked up a ringing phone several times in the past few weeks and no one responds on the other end.

Ooma, do you have an answer why this is happening, and what can be done to fix it?

Regards,

Scott

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri May 27, 2011 10:50 pm

scottmil wrote:Our daughter just tried to call us and got a busy signal from Ooma, even though we were not using the phone. She called back a few minutes later we received her call just fine. My spouse also has noted that she has picked up a ringing phone several times in the past few weeks and no one responds on the other end.

Ooma, do you have an answer why this is happening, and what can be done to fix it?

Regards,

Scott
To start with do the first two steps and then test. If you still have problems continue with the following steps.

One:
Sometimes the “Do Not Disturb” functions get confused. Press the Envelope button on the face of the Ooma Telo until it turns yellow. Then press it again until it turns Blue.

Two:
Remove power from the modem, Ooma, and Router. Then repower the modem. When the modem is done repowering, repower the Ooma device or router (which ever is connected next in line), then repower the router or Ooma device, and test.

Three:
To stabilize your Ooma device connection, change from Automatic to Use Built In MAC Address:
If your Ooma setup is Modem-Ooma-Router, type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer's browser. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on Internet settings. Go down to INTERNET port MAC Address: and click on Use Built In. Click on Update device and restart your Ooma device.
If your Ooma device is connected behind your router, temporarily connect a network cable from one of your router's LAN ports to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily disable Wi-Fi in your computer if turned on. Reboot the computer.
Than type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer's browser and Go down to INTERNET port MAC Address: and click on Use Built In. Click on Update device and restart your Ooma device.

Four:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router access your Ooma Setup pages and click on Advanced. Set Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream values to about 80 % of measured Upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.speedtest.net/. Note: 80 % is just a starting place and this value may have to raised or lowered slightly as required for your home's LAN requirements.

If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Router-Ooma set the Ooma Setup Advanced Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream values to zero.

Five:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Router-Ooma reserve a static IP address in your router for your Ooma device. Than place the Ooma device's static IP address in your router's DMZ.

Six:
You could run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing, and post the following here:
Download Speed: ________________
Upload Seed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________