New VM email notification not working anymore

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
mydanilo
New VM email notification not working anymore

Post by mydanilo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 am

I just noticed that the New VM email notification is not working anymore. Thought first that they land in spam, nope. Email in my account is still correct. Is this now a premier feature?? I am talking just the plain New VM from xxxx email to let me know that I have new vm. Anybody else having this problem?

lbmofo

Re: New VM email notification not working anymore

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:45 am

Unless your base service level is Core, this is a Premier feature.

mydanilo

Post by mydanilo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:33 am

I have Telo and basic service for over a year now. The basic new email notification has worked until a few days ago. Just the vm notification with the vm attached or transcribed used to be premiere. When did that change? Kind of upsetting as this was basic free feature to get an email notification when I signed up.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:46 am

mydanilo wrote:I have Telo and basic service for over a year now. The basic new email notification has worked until a few days ago. Just the vm notification with the vm attached or transcribed used to be premiere. When did that change? Kind of upsetting as this was basic free feature to get an email notification when I signed up.
Not sure if it ever was but I've known it to be a non Basic feature.

http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/de ... comparison

If it worked for you in the past with Basic service, then it was a bug much like this user experienced:
viewtopic.php?t=7775

worksong

Post by worksong » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:56 pm

I believe mydanilo is correct, & this is most disturbing.

The thread lbmofo referenced involved VM attachments, & is not relevant.

I've experienced exactly what mydanilo stated. Plain email notifications, w/no attachments, stopped within the last week. The Ooma website today makes it clear that email & text notifications are part of the Premiere package. That they would discontinue this service for Basic subscribers--without notice, & without telling us--is rather stunning.

The distinctions between Basic & Premiere were quite clear when I bought my two Telos over a year ago, & I proceeded with the purchase in part because simple notification was included...even in Basic.

I've asked Ooma for an explanation, & will wait for their reply before contemplating action.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:56 pm

worksong wrote:I believe mydanilo is correct, & this is most disturbing.

The thread lbmofo referenced involved VM attachments, & is not relevant.

I've experienced exactly what mydanilo stated. Plain email notifications, w/no attachments, stopped within the last week. The Ooma website today makes it clear that email & text notifications are part of the Premiere package. That they would discontinue this service for Basic subscribers--without notice, & without telling us--is rather stunning.

The distinctions between Basic & Premiere were quite clear when I bought my two Telos over a year ago, & I proceeded with the purchase in part because simple notification was included...even in Basic.

I've asked Ooma for an explanation, & will wait for their reply before contemplating action.
I referenced that thread to point out what you experienced (getting a non basic feature all this time after Premier trial expiration) was a bug that probably got rectified recently.

I've always known the VM notification feature to be "not included" in Basic (especially with Telo). I think this has always been the case for for all the non Core Hubs out there as well. Someone, please correct me if I am wrong.

I find references in the forum saying that VM notification is included in Basic but they may have meant "Core" base service rather than "Basic."

viewtopic.php?t=5092#p37126
bw1 on Dec 13, 2009

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5752&start=10#p41279
bw1 on Jan 11, 2010

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5752#p41215
bw1 on Jan 10, 2010

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5752&start=10#p41316
BobB on Jan 11, 2010

For Telo, for sure the VM notification was never a part of the Basic service level.

viewtopic.php?t=7686#p54033
murphy Apr 27, 2010

I even talked about VM notification being part of Core but not Basic in my post Hub vs. Telo: viewtopic.php?t=9245

worksong

Post by worksong » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:23 pm

You asked to be corrected if wrong, lbmofo. I'll do so here.

While I'm sure your intentions are good, you've now stated authoritatively--twice, & despite the fact that you apparently have only Hub experience, though we're discussing Telos--that VM email notification was never included in our Ooma Basic. You're wrong.

VM notification was a key purchase factor when I bought my 1st Telo. Ooma at one time planned to offer enhanced VM a la carte; this would have allowed users, for a nominal fee, to get attached voice files & other features without paying for the whole Premier package. They chose not to do this, & I chose not to upgrade to Premier. Throughout, Basic service never changed; it has always included simple VM notification...until now.

I'm attaching a file showing my response to Ooma C/S, who today took the same position you're taking: that I'm confused. In addition to sample email notifications--which Ooma says I never received--you'll find a solicitation from 2009, enticing Basic customers to upgrade to Premier so their notifications can be improved. It's crystal clear that VM notifications were present in Basic...just without the attached voice file & other bells & whistles that Premier added. I have more documentation, but no more time to devote to this.

Again--Ooma took away from current customers an included Basic service they'd long offered & promoted, & they did so without warning. Whoever made this unwise decision needs to explain--or simply reverse--the move.

Unless you have specific evidence to the contrary, please stop telling mydanilo & me that what we've actually experienced & complained about is an illusion. Your unfounded speculation is not helpful, & may distract others from weighing in with their own observations. Thank you.
Attachments
Ooma re VM notifications.pdf
(44.54KiB)Downloaded 466 times

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:22 am

Thanks for attempting to correct me but unfortunately, I was hoping for someone with more credibility to chime in if I was really wrong.

Take a look at this blog entry: https://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/10/02/ho ... customers/

Telo & Hub only products: "Basic voice mail now included"

The key words here are "Basic voice mail." "Basic voice mail" is not the same as "voicemail" mentioned under Hub/Scout Combination Products.

"Enhanced Voicemail," which includes voicemail notification, is not included in "Basic voice mail."

Enhanced voicemail is available as a standalone option for $49.99/yr if you don’t want to purchase all the Premier features. Enhanced voicemail includes:

1.One-touch access to voicemail, Call screening
2.Remote access to messages through any web browser or telephone
3.Voicemail notifications to your mobile phone
4.Voicemail mp3 audio file attachments sent to your email
5.Send-to-Voicemail
6.Do Not Disturb

Ooma's email marketing material talking about taking voicemail notification to the next level doesn't mean anything. They may be meant for the Core users. If that's all you have to bolster your contention, that's not enough to defeat my current understanding.

mydanilo

Post by mydanilo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:49 am

lbmofo, you are not hearing us. We are not dreaming. It was a feature I was concerned about too when I purchased. Yes, basic voice mail was brought back when announced in the blog post you mention. That was the kick I needed to order my Telo. Basic voice mail also included the basic email notification without the premiere functionality of text or attached message.

Look at the premiere offering:
Voicemail Forwarding
Voicemail-to-Text

Basic feature was:
Voicemail Notification

These are no the the same. This was not a buggy premiere feature, they are different features.

worksong, great job to follow up with Ooma and tell how it is. It is unacceptable to slice off basic features that were included a the time we purchased. I understand Ooma needs to make money but this is bad business practice.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:16 am

mydanilo wrote:lbmofo, you are not hearing us. We are not dreaming. It was a feature I was concerned about too when I purchased. Yes, basic voice mail was brought back when announced in the blog post you mention. That was the kick I needed to order my Telo.
So, you must have seen literature/media that explicitly told you that you'd get voicemail notification with Telo's basic service?
mydanilo wrote:It is unacceptable to slice off basic features that were included a the time we purchased. I understand Ooma needs to make money but this is bad business practice.
Again, where is the literature/media that you saw that told you you'd get voicemail notfication with Telo's basic service?

I understand that it is frustrating to lose a feature all of a sudden. But just because you've been getting a feature until last week doesn't mean you've been entitled to it.

FYI, the feature you think you just lost a week ago actually happened since beginning of time for Telo:
viewtopic.php?t=7686#p54033
Not only on this forum but you can find this info elsewhere on the internet: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/959858/

For Ooma Core base service, there are literature/media out there that folks can point to (that says VM notification is included in black and white). Here is one example: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... No=4682276

So show me your literature/media before you starting talking about how Ooma has done wrong.