Pacemaker Monitor

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
odonnell42
Pacemaker Monitor

Post by odonnell42 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:50 am

does anyone know if a pacemaker monitor which needs an analog line can be attached to an OOMA phone service?

lbmofo

Re: Pacemaker Monitor

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:54 am

Probably could but given the importance of the function, not recommended.

viewtopic.php?t=9003

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:33 pm

lbmofo wrote:Probably could but given the importance of the function, not recommended.

viewtopic.php?t=9003
Love it -- his "probably could" indicates he doesn't know -- but he can't resist answering anyway. I don't know either.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:17 pm

Following a Quote from a doctor:

said by notambiguous:

... pacemaker ... compatibility issues with VoIP?
The responding posters are wise, indeed. As a physician and as a son-in-law of a 95 year old gent who has biannual pacemaker checkups by phone (PSTN) --- I look at the OP's issue thusly.

A pacemaker check is not an acute life or death situation. It is simply designed to confirm that the battery is still charged and that the continuous or demand pacing function is operating properly. The "phone" device at the patient's end is just a modem, as others have stated, where the connection/transmission depends on the baud rate of the modems on each side (patient and doctor/tecnician) as well as the quality and reliability of the phone/VoIP line when the hook-up is made. Keep in mind that the pacemaker checkup is generally initiated by the doctor/hospital's office at a specific pre-arranged time months in advance ... so the VoIP connection better be working when the call comes in.

I would suggest keeping a PSTN line in service for at least two upcoming checkups so that, if the VoIP link is unsatisfactory, you have the PSTN line to fall back on. Keep in mind that, if you only have VoIP and it fails during the pacemaker checkup, the patient will need to reschedule at a another time which may be well into the future, given the very busy "pacemaker check" schedules in most cardiology offices.

-=-=-=

Incidentally, for those who are wondering, Colonoscopy does not work well over a VoIP connection (CoIP)!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:09 pm

nn5i wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Probably could but given the importance of the function, not recommended.

viewtopic.php?t=9003
Love it -- his "probably could" indicates he doesn't know -- but he can't resist answering anyway. I don't know either.
You couldn't resist either could you? XD "Probably could....." I meant to say I know it can work just like fax machines and alarm panels. But not sure about reliability; also mileage may vary. So why put up with uncertainty with an important health related hardware.

CoIp is a different story.

odonnell42

Post by odonnell42 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:21 am

Thanks for all the responses. The particular monitor I was using required an initial setup with the central monitoring site. i could not get by this step despite the various suggestions from the tech support at the monitoring site. This monitor has a USB port. I was told that if I signup for a 3 year agreement the vendor would send me a wireless adapter for the unit and it would transmit the data over a cellular network. they said the adapter was unique to their device and I could not purchase a generic unit.