Cannot Dial Local Numbers

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
ThresherJim
Cannot Dial Local Numbers

Post by ThresherJim » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:49 pm

I have a problem Dialing My Area Code.
I can dial other area codes no problem and calls go through.
but when i dial a number in my area code i get a voice recording saying "Please Dial Area Code and Number".
Here's how it goes I dial number then press talk on phone get ooma dial tone, can hear number tones being dialed then get blank air for a couple of seconds then the pre-recorded "Please dial area code and number".
Now I have tried this just by dialing the 7 digit number, the area code + 7 digit number and the 1+area code+7 digit number and have gotten the same results every time.
I am trying to dial the 951 area code. has anyone gone thru this dillemma?

please let me know what i can do. i have been trying to make appointments and cannot get through.

thank you,
Jim

one other thing i have the 10 digit dialing checked in the settings.

thunderbird

Re: Cannot Dial Local Numbers

Post by thunderbird » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm

ThresherJim:
Something to try:
Try dialing *98 for Telo or *99 for Hub before the numbe to be dialed, and see if that works?

For a longer term fix contact:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:31 pm

ThresherJim wrote:I have a problem Dialing My Area Code.
but when i dial a number in my area code i get a voice recording saying "Please Dial Area Code and Number".
Here's how it goes I dial number then press talk on phone get ooma dial tone, can hear number tones being dialed then get blank air for a couple of seconds then the pre-recorded "Please dial area code and number".
Now I have tried this just by dialing the 7 digit number, the area code + 7 digit number and the 1+area code+7 digit number and have gotten the same results every time.

please let me know what i can do. i have been trying to make appointments and cannot get through.

thank you,
Jim

Hello Jim,

I noticed you have configured your Ooma to work with your Landline. Do you have an answering service with your Landline provider & do you hear a stutter dialtone when you have new messages? If so, try clearing the new messages & then dial again. If you plugged your phone directly into your wall jack, you can call local numbers(bypass Ooma)?

ThresherJim

Post by ThresherJim » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:48 pm

ntoy wrote:
ThresherJim wrote:I have a problem Dialing My Area Code.

thank you,
Jim

Hello Jim,

I noticed you have configured your Ooma to work with your Landline. Do you have an answering service with your Landline provider & do you hear a stutter dialtone when you have new messages? If so, try clearing the new messages & then dial again. If you plugged your phone directly into your wall jack, you can call local numbers(bypass Ooma)?
I do have an answering service with my current landline provider. but cannot access the answering service while i am plugged in through the ooma hub. i am also still waiting for the number porting to finalize. so in the meantime i am just going to plug my phone straight into the wall until porting is complete which is the 17th of this month. hopefully that is the problem. if not i will be posting again. thank you for the response. i also tried the *99 deal but did not work.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Sounds like your landline phone package is feature rich? If you have call forwarding, why not consider changing your Ooma setup to run on standalone (get a number assigned by Ooma) and have your landline calls forwarded to your temp Ooma number? Only draw back there is that your outgoing calls (via phones connected to Ooma) will reflect your Ooma temp number. This way, you can really test drive your Ooma. To change the config, you'd need to call Ooma customer service at 1-888-711-OOMA.

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:58 pm

Yes, as lbmofo mentioned, you can call into support & they can change you to a temp number. It would take a few minutes & a reboot of your Ooma afterwards. This would not impact your porting if it is already in progress.