OBi110 Google Voice adapter - better than OOMA?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
ooma-fan
OBi110 Google Voice adapter - better than OOMA?

Post by ooma-fan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:22 am

Did anyone in this forums try this Google Voice adapter, OBi110 by Obihai?

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread ... &t=2636475
Lifetime Premier Member

lbmofo

Re: OBi110 Google Voice adapter - better than OOMA?

Post by lbmofo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:40 am

Pretty complicated list of fillers & fiddling texts... could you possibly break it down for us and show us why this is better than Ooma? Please enlighten us.

ooma-fan

Post by ooma-fan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:21 pm

I don't know, that is why I posted a question mark on the subject line, and look for comment or any direct experience from this forum.

It appears to me not a commercial grade service, no 911, no fax...
Lifetime Premier Member

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht6fcoJM5io

I just don't get the point of this product. If you are overseas, to call someone in the US, you need a partner in crime already pre-situated (someone else in the US with the device) to get to others via their landline (LD charges apply) or VoIP. For others to reach you, they need to call your partner in crime first and then call out via the device to your device.

What?

Just get an Ooma and take it with you overseas and call anyone in the US anytime without even thinking about it. My brain started hurting after reading that page...that video didn't really help things.

doug

Post by doug » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Unless I misunderstand this line, it would be a deal breaker for me:

"Because the Obi110 uses the Google Chat feature of G-mail, it is recommended that you not open your G-mail page in your browser while receiving calls to the Obi110. Incoming calls may not be routed to the ATA if the G-mail page is open." (emphasis mine)

Say what? I routinely have a browser tab open to the gmail page virtually all day, plus gtalk is open for chat sessions. If this works by usurping google chat then I suspect it may be a good idea to create another gmail account to dedicate to the obi. But is isn't clear to me that would do it either.

No way I am jumping ship from my beloved ooma boxes...

dealyanodeal

Post by dealyanodeal » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:21 am

I think OOMA+ obi combo does provide some value but obi alone is not better or comparable to ooma. I have obi110 and I am using OOMA as primary line on it and GV as secondary line. It does provide you a 2nd line for free(via GV) but there is delay in dialing the number and incoming call(as OBI has to parse the calls). There are no features like vm, block list,911 provided with
obi so it doesnt compare at all with ooma.

ooma-fan

Post by ooma-fan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:55 pm

dealyanodeal wrote:I think OOMA+ obi combo does provide some value but obi alone is not better or comparable to ooma. I have obi110 and I am using OOMA as primary line on it and GV as secondary line. It does provide you a 2nd line for free(via GV) but there is delay in dialing the number and incoming call(as OBI has to parse the calls). There are no features like vm, block list,911 provided with
THANKS for sharing the experience!
Lifetime Premier Member

doctorwizz

Post by doctorwizz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:30 am

dealyanodeal wrote:I think OOMA+ obi combo does provide some value but obi alone is not better or comparable to ooma. I have obi110 and I am using OOMA as primary line on it and GV as secondary line. It does provide you a 2nd line for free(via GV) but there is delay in dialing the number and incoming call(as OBI has to parse the calls). There are no features like vm, block list,911 provided with
Obi110 is fantastic!. I have Google Voice as primary and a pay as you go VOIP SIP ($1.50/mo.) for 911. There is no delay on mine. Calls go out instantly. Google Voice has call blocking, voicemail, and lots of other features.
Obi has more features then Ooma. I am my own phone compay.
Call quality is better then a landline. Never had any calls dropped, echo, noise, ect.
The Obi app for android phones is somewhat buggy, but they are working on it.

tkc9789

Post by tkc9789 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:59 pm

Obi appears to be a very interesting box. But I wonder if one can call overseas for cheap with Obi1100?

doctorwizz

Post by doctorwizz » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:21 am

That depends on the VOIP carrier.
But if they have and Obi, then you can call free.
I don't call overseas so I can't comment.