Anonymous Call Block Enhancement Request

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
lbmofo
Anonymous Call Block Enhancement Request

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:55 pm

I think the Anonymous Call Block feature is great; thanks to this wonderful feature, folks don't have to listen to the phone ring when they don't intend to answer "Caller-ID Blocked" or "Restricted" calls in the first place.

However, my understanding is that the feature only works if the calling party intentionally blocks their number ("Restricted"). Hence, incoming calls with "UNKNOWN" as phone numbers (due to other reasons) would still ring through.

Since folks that don't answer "Restricted" calls probably don't want to be bothered with "UNKNOWN" calls either, I'd like to suggest offering a way to send these "UNKNOWN" calls directly to voicemail as well ("Blocked Message" wouldn't be applicable here because "UNKNOWN" callers aren't necessarily blocking their numbers).

Here is what I have in mind:

When someone checks the "Enable anonymous call block" box, it'd be nice if another checkbox becomes visible right under the dropdown "Anonymous calls should get" where folks can select the anonymous call treatment: "Sent to Voicemail" or "Call Blocked Message."

The new checkbox I am proposing would be "Send other 'UNKNOWN' calls to voicemail."

The hide/unhide action could work much like how selecting call forwarding choice "Call forward all" or "Multi-Ring" renders the checkbox "Require key press before answering forwarded calls" visible. Except in this case, just checking the "Enable anonymous call block" makes the new checkbox visible.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Anonymous Call Block Enhancement Request

Post by Bobby B » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:38 am

I think Anonymous Call Block should stop numbers from ringing through if no phone number is available. Do you have an example call where this was not the case?
Bobby B

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi Bobby, email sent.

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:57 am

I would like to add a suggestion to the topic:

I work in a place where all outgoing calls are forced to be Anon for security purposes (not sales)

I would like to have the option of using a higher level on my home OOMA privacy preferences, but also be able to call my own house from work without being blocked or forced to VM.

Therefore, I would like to suggest that an exception list be available for the user to populate. This user list would be exempted from blocking or auto trasfer to VM if the number is recognized from the list.

Thanks for considering
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:12 pm

EA PA wrote:Therefore, I would like to suggest that an exception list be available for the user to populate. This user list would be exempted from blocking or auto trasfer to VM if the number is recognized from the list.
If the number is not available, Ooma can't tell who is who.

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:32 pm

If i program my work number into this exceptions list on OOMA setup, it could allow it to pass through to ring - no? unless - does it not see the number either with just anon on name? does it just come through as anon ? - never looked as I dont call myself.

if the number is not attached, how does the community blacklist work? I thought the number comes through all the time

Edit: It comes up Unavailable (called myself for the first time) - no number on cell. hmmm - may not work - then again - its a cell phone... Ill have to try with a landline

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:41 pm

If no number is reflected in the incoming call, you can't really process any exception list.

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:08 pm

I guess I was thinking that from my previous experience, numbers always seem to come across but the name is what is manipulated to Anon or Unavailable. I just verified (on my DECT 6) gets anon with no number. So I guess I am SOL.

Forget my suggestion - another rookie error :(

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Bobby B wrote:I think Anonymous Call Block should stop numbers from ringing through if no phone number is available. Do you have an example call where this was not the case?
Bobby, thanks for your insight.
Oops, big doo doo from me. Nevermind. The anonymous call reject does catch UNKNOWN calls as well like Bobby says.
The ones showing up on my call log (after I turned on anonymous call reject) was from bluetooth transfer (when calling using iphone while bluetooth connected; phone says "bluetooth transfer from unkown" and call log registers UNKNOWN). The wife wasn't paying attention to what the phone screen said; just asked me why the UNKNOWN calls without anyone on the other side?? :)

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:47 am

EA PA wrote:I guess I was thinking that from my previous experience, numbers always seem to come across but the name is what is manipulated to Anon or Unavailable. I just verified (on my DECT 6) gets anon with no number. So I guess I am SOL.
Here is something that will work for you... Get a local Google Voice number. Configure it (in settings) to output your GV number when it transfers the call. You can do this in the Settings/Call area under Incoming Caller ID. From their help screen: By default, Google Voice displays the caller ID of your caller. You can also choose to display your Google number as the caller ID, so you know you received the call on your Google number. Turn off Call Screening to make the call go directly to your home (ooma) number.

With this setup, you can call your GV number from your office and it will ring your home phone showing your GV number. Your family will know it is you since you won't be giving out your GV number to anyone. Best of all, it is all free! :P

ps: We have at least one other person whom I know of who is in law enforcement and uses this quite successfully. He gave out his GV number to his boss in case the boss needs to reach him at home during an emergency.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.