Call Forwarding - HELP NEEDED

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
Grace
Re: Call Forwarding - HELP NEEDED

Post by Grace » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:55 am

WayneDsr wrote:Ok, so when you are set up as you stated, your ooma phone rings and your Iphone doesn't??? (when set up in Multi-Ring)

Wayne
Yes.
And I just went back into the calling preferences to see EXACTLY what it says, and here's a quote:
Configure your ooma system to call forward to or simultaneously ring a mobile or other phone number.

Note that it says "call forward to OR simultaneously ring....

So which is it? Am I REALLY forwarding my calls to the iPhone? Or am I just cleverly ringing two phones at one time? I think that this option does NOT TRULY forward my calls in the complete sense, because the iPhone system doesn't look at that call as a real call and doesn't pick it up on the iPhone voicemail system. The incoming call to an OOMA number DOES ring on my iPhone but the iPhone voicemail doesn't pick it up - it gets bounced back to the OOMA voicemail.

Bottom line right now - the OOMA system does NOT forward calls - it just cleverly rings another phone if someone dials your OOMA number. However, if you have a land line or other line forwarded to your premier OOMA system via the #72/#73 functions, OOMA does NOT MULTI RING and does NOT FORWARD THOSE CALLS!!!! BEWARE!!!

And OOMA - FIX THIS because I can't be the only blond geekette who wants to do this.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:59 am

The other issue would be that your iphone would not get the calls via iphone's voicemail.
If you multiring a call to another phone (like cell phone) when you pick up the call on the cell, there is a voice that asks you to accept the call by pressing 1. If you are not there to press the 1, then the call goes to ooma voicemail, not iphones.
A glitch ooma said they will be fixing. I also have a problem when I'm using blue tooth. I don't have access to the 1 on the phone.

Wayne

Grace

Post by Grace » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:37 am

WayneDsr wrote:Ok, so when you are set up as you stated, your ooma phone rings and your Iphone doesn't??? (when set up in Multi-Ring)

Wayne
Correct

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:54 am

Have you tried any other phone other than your Iphone to multi-ring? I use my cell phone and it works every time.

Make sure when you add the number in the menu for multi-ring that you click SAVE before you exit.

(I know you probably do, but you said you were blonde...)

Wayne

Grace

Post by Grace » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:25 am

WayneDsr wrote:Have you tried any other phone other than your Iphone to multi-ring? I use my cell phone and it works every time.

Make sure when you add the number in the menu for multi-ring that you click SAVE before you exit.

(I know you probably do, but you said you were blonde...)

Wayne

Yes - I've tried various configurations.
The problem seems to be those "double forwarded" calls, so to speak. The OOMA system doesn't "forward", it "multirings" (unless a forwarded call from another system other than OOMA is forwarded TO OOMA, in which case you will NOT NOT NOT get any multiring.) HELLO OOMA TECHIE SMART FOLKS - GET BUSY ON THIS OR CHANGE THE MISLEADING AND ERRONEOUS WORDING ON YOUR VOICEMAIL PREFERENCES TO JUST SAY "MULTIRING" AND MAKE NO MENTION OF FORWARDING!!

Ha Ha Wayne
Thank you for the suggestion to be sure I "SAVE" my changes!
After I wipe the drool from my chin, I'll be sure to do that!
hahaha

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:06 pm

Just to be clear...what happens when a caller calls your landline?

Does the Ooma ring?

On all calls made to the Ooma, your cell rings and ooma rings as well?

For those caller who call the landline, what happens? Ooma voicemail, iPhone voicemail?

I would suggest turning off the VM in Ooma, but I don't see how you can do that in the lounge. All I see is different times. Has anyone turned off VM in Ooma?

scots

Post by scots » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:45 pm

Grace wrote:I guess I could have a notification sent to my iPhone that I had an OOMA message, but I'm too cheap to add text messaging to my iPhone since I text no one and don't want to have any one texting me.
You can set up voicemail notifications for either text message OR e-mail. You do have the data plan on your iPhone, don't you? I know you can decline a text package, but I don't think AT&T allows the iPhone without the data plan (I have an iPhone also). Setup ooma to send an e-mail rather than a text message. You can then see the e-mail notices on a computer or on your iPhone, and then you don't have to worry about text message charges.
Grace wrote:And I just went back into the calling preferences to see EXACTLY what it says, and here's a quote:
Configure your ooma system to call forward to or simultaneously ring a mobile or other phone number.

Note that it says "call forward to OR simultaneously ring....

So which is it?
It's just what it says...call forward OR simultaneously ring. When you enable multi-ring, there's also another checkbox (labeled "Ring phones connected to my ooma system") just below where you enter the phone number for your iPhone. If that box is selected it will ring phones which are connected to your ooma system at the same time it's ringing your iPhone (this is simultaneously ring). If that box is NOT checked, then it only rings your iPhone and doesn't ring phones that are connected to your ooma system (this is call forwarding). No matter which one you choose, you'll be required to press 1 when you answer the call on your iPhone and there's no way at the moment to disable this. Due to the requirement to press 1, there's no way for your iPhone voicemail to answer calls that are forwarded from your ooma line.
Grace wrote:And what is worse, all my callers to my land line who are accustomed to hearing the voicemail on my iPhone are now hearing this oddball voicemail on OOMA...
I'm assuming from this statement that you haven't recorded an outgoing message on your ooma voicemail, and it's playing the "standard greeting" from ooma. To help avoid confusing your callers, you may want to consider recording your own greeting that's the same as/similar to your iPhone voicemail greeting. Unless you didn't record one for your iPhone either and are using the "standard greeting" from AT&T...in which case I guess there's not much you can do about it unless you record your own greeting on both.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:10 pm

In most cases, if you want to Multi-Ring a forwarded call from a 3rd party number (as you're doing), ooma will not forward the call over to your configured Multi-Ring number.

The main reason we have the above restriction in place is to protect against call forwarding loops. There's a bit of development work and testing that needs to be added to ooma's Multi-Ring feature to protect against these types of call loops.

That being said, we should support Multi-Ring when a forwarded call from a 3rd party is received in the future. We've seen a few requests for this functionality when people are in the process of porting their number and they want to call forward from their landline or VoIP service to their ooma temporary number AND they want to use the Multi-Ring feature.
Bobby B

Grace

Post by Grace » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:22 pm

lohertz wrote:Just to be clear...what happens when a caller calls your landline?

Does the Ooma ring?

On all calls made to the Ooma, your cell rings and ooma rings as well?

For those caller who call the landline, what happens? Ooma voicemail, iPhone voicemail?

I would suggest turning off the VM in Ooma, but I don't see how you can do that in the lounge. All I see is different times. Has anyone turned off VM in Ooma?
Thanks so much for your thoughts and attention to this matter.

I'll try to answer as fully as possible:

When a caller calls my land line, the call is successfully forwarded to OOMA, period, and NOT to the iPhone. Nor does the "multi ring" function kick in and ring both the OOMA line(s) and the iPhone. ONLY the OOMA line(s) ring. The call which originated TO the land line never EVER makes it to the iPhone. The caller receives the OOMA voicemail outgoing message and never makes it to the iPhone at all, period.

On calls made directly to the numbers on my OOMA, yes, the iPhone also rings. However, as you probably already know, it is the OOMA voicemail that picks up the call, NOT the iPhone voicemail. So I don't consider that a true "forwarding" - it is simply a fancy piece of OOMA software that rings other phones. Highly clever, and extremely useful, but NOT TRUE FORWARDING!

OOMA ARE YOU LISTENING?? CHANGE YOUR WORDING - you do NOT offer CALL FORWARDING. You offer MULTIPLE RINGING PHONES.

Thanks
Grace

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:03 pm

No, Grace. Mine forwards all my calls to my cell phone when I'm out mobile. I get everyone of them.

Wayne