ecg transmissions

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
wbensing
ecg transmissions

Post by wbensing » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:24 pm

I need to send ecgs (electrocardiograms) electronically over the phone. It worked with a land line but now that I have Ooma, I am having problems
I have tried the number alone. It rings, gets modem "handshake" but never connects. It first says "connection in progress" After 60 sec I get "transmission failure"
I tried the "99" in front, the number won't even go through.
Anybody have experience with this ? It should operate similarly to a fax.

murphy

Re: ecg transmissions

Post by murphy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:12 am

It's not 99
it's *99 pause
If you are dialing manually, dial *99 and wait for the dial tone to return before dialing the rest of the numbers.
If the number is stored in the unit, you need to store a pause after the *99. How you do that shoulld be in the manual for the unit. With a standard telephone modem it's done with the comma.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

wbensing

Post by wbensing » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:04 am

thanks I will give it a try. if I understand you correctly, you put in *99 (star 99) then a pause before the number. the number is prestored. there is no 'comma' but adding a space will cause the dialing to pause. One problem is that there is no * (star) on the ecg keyboard. is the * necessary ? is there a substitute for the * ?

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:38 am

Since you are in control of the dialing as opposed to an alarm system that dials on its own, you might try picking up another phone also on the wired port and dialing the *99 and when you hear normal dial tone return, press the key on the ECG unit that causes it to dial out. When you hear it start, hang up the regular phone. Let us know if this works for you.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

wbensing

Post by wbensing » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:38 am

great idea!! I will try it.

wbensing

Post by wbensing » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:41 pm

well I tried it unfortunately it still will not work. I have since learned that the ecg transmissions have to be ANALOG (imagine how backward the FAA system is). I think that pretty much rules out a VOIP transmission.

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:01 am

wbensing wrote:well I tried it unfortunately it still will not work. I have since learned that the ecg transmissions have to be ANALOG (imagine how backward the FAA system is). I think that pretty much rules out a VOIP transmission.
Yes but it does not rule out FOIP. This would require the provider to offer t.38 as a codec to transmit fax over as well as an ATA that can do fax bypass. I'm not too keen on faxing via g.711 (Ooma calls this fax mode) even though it does work sometimes. It only works at all because g.711 is not nearly as lossy of a voice codec as iLBC, g.729, g.726 etc. It is still far less than ideal for faxing data.

I work at Boeing and we converted to VOIP exclusively three years ago and used it very widely prior to this. Cisco IP phones are used throughout. For FAX we have a t.38 capable ATA connected to the modem port of our multifunction printer/copier equipment. We are able to fax consistently at 14400 using this which is true FOIP rather than VOIP. One of my providers I use in my VOIP hobby offers t.38 but it's a BYOD service. One of my prior providers also offers t.38 FOIP but they provide you equipment that you can't tinker with but most people would want something you unbox, activate and use. The more adventurous prefer the BYOD method where you have complete control over the settings because it's YOUR equipment.

wbensing

Post by wbensing » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:02 am

where can I find out more about FOIP. Is it something I have to set up at my end or does the FAA (receiver) have to have it at their end ?

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:31 pm

wbensing wrote:where can I find out more about FOIP. Is it something I have to set up at my end or does the FAA (receiver) have to have it at their end ?
Actually, Ooma's end. To use FOIP, the network and device used to connect to the network must support the specified codec. Neither Ooma's network nor Ooma's devices have that codec.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

wbensing

Post by wbensing » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:48 pm

thanks
sounds like there is no workaround for this