Anonymous Call Block Enhancement Request

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
EA PA
Re: Anonymous Call Block Enhancement Request

Post by EA PA » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:02 am

southsound wrote:
EA PA wrote:I guess I was thinking that from my previous experience, numbers always seem to come across but the name is what is manipulated to Anon or Unavailable. I just verified (on my DECT 6) gets anon with no number. So I guess I am SOL.
Here is something that will work for you... Get a local Google Voice number. Configure it (in settings) to output your GV number when it transfers the call. You can do this in the Settings/Call area under Incoming Caller ID. From their help screen: By default, Google Voice displays the caller ID of your caller. You can also choose to display your Google number as the caller ID, so you know you received the call on your Google number. Turn off Call Screening to make the call go directly to your home (ooma) number.

With this setup, you can call your GV number from your office and it will ring your home phone showing your GV number. Your family will know it is you since you won't be giving out your GV number to anyone. Best of all, it is all free! :P

ps: We have at least one other person whom I know of who is in law enforcement and uses this quite successfully. He gave out his GV number to his boss in case the boss needs to reach him at home during an emergency.
Ah - repeater... great idea Ill give it a try when I get some time - and its free indeed! :D
Oh and BTW - ---- bzzzzzz----- not a cop ;)
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:44 am

lbmofo wrote:If no number is reflected in the incoming call, you can't really process any exception list.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11146#p77736

?? If number included on all calls as originally presumed, possibilites for an exceptions list on OOMA ??

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:52 am

EA PA wrote:
lbmofo wrote:If no number is reflected in the incoming call, you can't really process any exception list.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11146#p77736

?? If number included on all calls as originally presumed, possibilites for an exceptions list on OOMA ??
Probably need someone like Norman, Bobby, or Dennis to chime in.

CodeMasterG

Post by CodeMasterG » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Bobby B wrote:I think Anonymous Call Block should stop numbers from ringing through if no phone number is available. Do you have an example call where this was not the case?
I have been getting annoying calls from caller ID "anonymous" and thier phone number is "anonymous". Since it's not a valid phone number, I cannot blacklist it; is there anyway to block this caller?

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Thu May 05, 2011 11:01 am

southsound wrote:
EA PA wrote:I guess I was thinking that from my previous experience, numbers always seem to come across but the name is what is manipulated to Anon or Unavailable. I just verified (on my DECT 6) gets anon with no number. So I guess I am SOL.
Here is something that will work for you... Get a local Google Voice number. Configure it (in settings) to output your GV number when it transfers the call. You can do this in the Settings/Call area under Incoming Caller ID. From their help screen: By default, Google Voice displays the caller ID of your caller. You can also choose to display your Google number as the caller ID, so you know you received the call on your Google number. Turn off Call Screening to make the call go directly to your home (ooma) number.

With this setup, you can call your GV number from your office and it will ring your home phone showing your GV number. Your family will know it is you since you won't be giving out your GV number to anyone. Best of all, it is all free! :P

ps: We have at least one other person whom I know of who is in law enforcement and uses this quite successfully. He gave out his GV number to his boss in case the boss needs to reach him at home during an emergency.
Southsound - I finally set this up and it works great! I am now ID'd on my own home phones when calling anon from work vs. tanked due to call block settings. Thanks for the idea. Another forum success. :D

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 am

Found out that if an Ooma subscriber calls my Ooma with *67 prefix (block caller ID), my Ooma will ring even with Anonymous Call Block on.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:48 am

lbmofo wrote:Found out that if an Ooma subscriber calls my Ooma with *67 prefix (block caller ID), my Ooma will ring even with Anonymous Call Block on.
Nice! Is the caller's CID info still blocked even though the call itself still gets through?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:09 am

Shows up as "anonymous" in both name and number.

whn

Post by whn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:28 pm

Bobby B wrote:I think Anonymous Call Block should stop numbers from ringing through if no phone number is available. Do you have an example call where this was not the case?

Thank you OOMA, for the call block features, the blacklist feature is worth every penny. Thanks again.