local calls

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
dgm
local calls

Post by dgm » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:29 pm

I cannot dial local numbers without getting a busy signal. I have tried 7 & 10 digit dialing as well as using a 1.

southsound

Re: local calls

Post by southsound » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:21 pm

I am guessing that you have just set up your system and you probably chose to use your existing number while porting. If that is the case, you need to connect a phone cord between your existing phone service and the WALL jack on your ooma system. When you use your old number, something we call "landline integration", all local outgoing and all incoming calls are made using your existing landline. As my signature may suggest, I don't recommend that configuration because it breaks some nice features and causes lots of problems. A better way is to have ooma give you a new ooma number and then you forward your existing number to the new ooma number. That way you can use all of the Premier features during your trial period and also can test how the system will actually work for you.

Welcome to ooma and to the forum!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

dgm

Post by dgm » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:08 pm

It seemed to work when I first switched to ooma. I did connect a line to the wall jack to enable my existing phones. No problem there just no local service. I did port my old number, but I disconnected my in house wiring from the local phone company and terminated the land line. I have been an ooma customer for about six months.

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Sorry that my assumptions were incorrect but I had almost no information on which to base my answer.

Since your Telo did work at one time and is now not able to connect local calls, it could be a problem with the terminating partner ooma uses in your area for local calls. In that case, make a list of a couple of the numbers you are having difficulty with and the times you tried calling them as well as the response after dialing (reorder tone, no ring, ??) then call 888 711-6662 and report the problem. The person who answers the phone will have to escalate the problem but I'm sure ooma's techs can sort it all out.
Lifetime Premier Member

dgm

Post by dgm » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:30 am

no need to apologize, I appreciate your help. I did call the number you provided and they seem to have sorted it out because it is working again.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:02 am

I'm glad that your system is working again. Thanks for getting back to us with the good news. :cool:
Lifetime Premier Member