How to disable rf transmitters in Telo?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
mogur
How to disable rf transmitters in Telo?

Post by mogur » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:07 am

I do not use the Bluetooth or handset features in my Ooma Telo. However, I have devices near the Telo which are receiving severe interference from its transmitters for these services. Is there a way I can disable the transmitters in the Telo to prevent this?

Thanks!

murphy

Re: How to disable rf transmitters in Telo?

Post by murphy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:37 am

mogur wrote:I do not use the Bluetooth or handset features in my Ooma Telo. However, I have devices near the Telo which are receiving severe interference from its transmitters for these services. Is there a way I can disable the transmitters in the Telo to prevent this?

Thanks!
There is no bluetooth transmitter in the Telo. That feature comes from a dongle that plugs into the USB port.
The Telo transmits on 1.9 GHz. If no handsets are registered to the Telo I would not expect it to be transmitting at all but I guess it's possible.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mogur

Post by mogur » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:42 am

Yeah, it is transmitting a fairly powerful RF signal. I suspect that the handset transmitter is always active and looking for a handset even if no handset is registered unless there is a way to disable it (which is what I'd like to do) in the Telo.

murphy wrote:
mogur wrote:I do not use the Bluetooth or handset features in my Ooma Telo. However, I have devices near the Telo which are receiving severe interference from its transmitters for these services. Is there a way I can disable the transmitters in the Telo to prevent this?

Thanks!
There is no bluetooth transmitter in the Telo. That feature comes from a dongle that plugs into the USB port.
The Telo transmits on 1.9 GHz. If no handsets are registered to the Telo I would not expect it to be transmitting at all but I guess it's possible.

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks!
2 questions.
1. How did you validate that OOMA is the violating device? and,
2. What device(s) is being interfered with and what are its symptoms?
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Yes, I have noticed the xmission too even without any handsets paired. If Telo is too close to an active speaker, speaker would buzz much like when a cell phone is near.

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:53 pm

lbmofo wrote:Yes, I have noticed the xmission too even without any handsets paired. If Telo is too close to an active speaker, speaker would buzz much like when a cell phone is near.
If you pull plug on OOMA, the speaker stops humming? What kind of speaker? you talking one of the computer desktop speakers? How close do you have to get?
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

mogur

Post by mogur » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:30 pm

It is interfering with my answering machine, a computer speaker, and an MP3 dock, all of which are nearby. If I turn the Telo off, all interference disappears. The interference sounds like a buzz, much like the interference you get from a nearby GSM phone. Since I have no need for it to transmit (no handsets), the easiest solution is to cease it from doing so.

2 questions.
1. How did you validate that OOMA is the violating device? and,
2. What device(s) is being interfered with and what are its symptoms?[/quote]

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:55 pm

EA PA wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Yes, I have noticed the xmission too even without any handsets paired. If Telo is too close to an active speaker, speaker would buzz much like when a cell phone is near.
If you pull plug on OOMA, the speaker stops humming? What kind of speaker? you talking one of the computer desktop speakers? How close do you have to get?
Yeah, it is one of them Altec Lansing computer speakers. If I bring the Telo right next to it, it will make buzzing sounds but more than 1/2 foot away seems to be fine. Of course with a cell phone, don't have to have the cell phone too near (many feet away) to make loud buzzing sounds everytime cell phone polls tower.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Thanks!
So I guess the answer would be you disabl the Ooma Telo can't. So the solution would be to relocate the Ooma device a few feet away from the other devices.

danlisman

Post by danlisman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:38 pm

If the warranty is passed, you could open it up. Probably an antenna wire or something you can disconnect. :)
Get rid of satellite/cable. Buy DVR to Pause-Rewind-Record live antenna HDTV.
http://MustardTree.eCRATER.com