Unable to make or Receive Calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
bbgarnett
Unable to make or Receive Calls

Post by bbgarnett » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Hello,

I am having a problem right now where I am unable to make or receive calls. Like if I call someone all I get is a busy signal and then if someone calls me the phone rings and I answer and say hello but there nothing on the other end. So I tried calling my home number from a cell phone and when my phone rang I picked up but yet the cell phone I was calling from was still ringing and ended up not completing/making the call. So any ideas as to what the problem could be. I am hoping it's just something that will fix itself. I have had times where the phone hasn't worked but it's only been for a little while. I am not sure how long this has been happening but the phones worked last evening and so I am just going to assume the problem started this morning or thereafter. Also our internet is fine and all the lights on the Telo are Blue/normal. Also on another note do you think I should unplug my ooma Telo and do a power cycle on it every week or is doing something like that not necessary. I mean Comcast suggest that what we do with our Modem even if we aren't having any problems but I just do find it necessary and find it a waste of time if there isn't any problems. So yeah any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

thunderbird

Re: Unable to make or Receive Calls

Post by thunderbird » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:17 pm

bbgarnett:
The first thing I would do is reboot the Ooma device. Rebooting the Ooma device once in a while won't hurt anything. I reboot my router and Ooma device each Sunday morning.

If that doesn't work, try connecting a corded phone directly to the Ooma device's phone port and test.

If that doesn't work call Ooma. Sometimes they can see something and reset it from their end.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

bbgarnett

Post by bbgarnett » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Hey,

OK well I rebooted the Telo and I tried calling again from the cell phone and was able to get through and make a completed call, but I still get a busy signal when calling from my home phone to that cell phone as well as another cell phone.

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:43 pm

bbgarnett wrote:Hey,

OK well I rebooted the Telo and I tried calling again from the cell phone and was able to get through and make a completed call, but I still get a busy signal when calling from my home phone to that cell phone as well as another cell phone.
Precede your call with *98;

dial tone - *98 - (pause) - dial number - see if that works if not already using.

Also, a cheap UPS to keep power glitches from messing up OOMA/ Modem / rounter / switch for about 50 bucks may help keep it running cleanly instead of booting every weekend
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:49 pm

bbgarnett, rebooting your Ooma periodically isn't necessary. When dialing out though, make sure you have your 10 digit dialing setting straight. If you don't have 10 digit dialing set on my.ooma.com, calling your own area code numbers with area code will give you fast busy.

bbgarnett

Post by bbgarnett » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Hello,

Thanks for all the reply's

I went and enabled 10 digit dialing in my ooma settings but I still got a busy signal when calling the cell phone and dialing the area code first. So then I tried it without dialing the area code and it worked fine. So yeah have no idea why dialing the area code makes it give a fast busy.

Thanks, though for all the reply's and hopefully it stays working.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:03 pm

With 10 digit dialing enabled, always dial 10 digits. You can omit the area code and just dial 7 digits for the phone numbers with same area code as your own number but need to press # at the end to get the call through right away, otherwise, takes 2 to 3 seconds before the call goes through.