Wrong outgoing phone number?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
stavesacre03
Wrong outgoing phone number?

Post by stavesacre03 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi, I've had my Ooma Telo for a little over a year with very few problems. A few days ago I called my credit card company's 800 number and it didn't recognize the phone I was calling from. It said I was calling from 786-279-3705. Today, I dialed 1-800-444-4444 (automatic number announcement circuit) and again was told I was calling from this number. This is not my phone number. I'm not aware of anyone having problems reaching my phone when dialing the correct number, but I'm concerned that the outgoing number appears to be incorrect, and am especially concerned what would happen if I need to call 911. My correct phone number appears correct in all settings in My Ooma, so I am at a loss. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

EA PA

Re: Wrong outgoing phone number?

Post by EA PA » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 pm

stavesacre03 wrote:Hi, I've had my Ooma Telo for a little over a year with very few problems. A few days ago I called my credit card company's 800 number and it didn't recognize the phone I was calling from. It said I was calling from 786-279-3705. Today, I dialed 1-800-444-4444 (automatic number announcement circuit) and again was told I was calling from this number. This is not my phone number. I'm not aware of anyone having problems reaching my phone when dialing the correct number, but I'm concerned that the outgoing number appears to be incorrect, and am especially concerned what would happen if I need to call 911. My correct phone number appears correct in all settings in My Ooma, so I am at a loss. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Id call OOMA customer support
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:26 pm

stavesacre03 wrote:Hi, I've had my Ooma Telo for a little over a year with very few problems. A few days ago I called my credit card company's 800 number and it didn't recognize the phone I was calling from. It said I was calling from 786-279-3705. Today, I dialed 1-800-444-4444 (automatic number announcement circuit) and again was told I was calling from this number.
This is really strange - not only because it is happening to you but because I can duplicate it on both my two Telo lines and also on my hub. The same number reads out as you are given: 786-279-3705. When I call the 800 number with my landline, it reads out the correct number. When I call my cell phone with any of my ooma devices, it shows the actual ooma number. If I call using Google Voice, it reads out the correct number. This sounds like something one of our super ooma moderators might want to check into.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

geobernd

Post by geobernd » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:30 pm

The 1-800-444-4444 probably reads back the ANI and not your CPN. In may VoIP cases ANI is not the number you have but a nubmer that's related to the billing circuit. Your CPN should be correct. All 800 services always receive ANI for billing purposes (they can also receive CPN/CID unless you block it). It's up to the provider what they ultimately use... This typically can also cause havoc with regional 800 numbers (e.g. only accessible from certain areacodes) or 800 routing (e.g. you end up the wrong callcenter based on the transmitted ANI)....

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:29 am

geobernd wrote:The 1-800-444-4444 probably reads back the ANI and not your CPN. In may VoIP cases ANI is not the number you have but a nubmer that's related to the billing circuit. Your CPN should be correct. All 800 services always receive ANI for billing purposes (they can also receive CPN/CID unless you block it). It's up to the provider what they ultimately use... This typically can also cause havoc with regional 800 numbers (e.g. only accessible from certain areacodes) or 800 routing (e.g. you end up the wrong callcenter based on the transmitted ANI)....
Your abbreviations defeat me. What's ANI? What's CPN?

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:43 am

Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

stavesacre03

Post by stavesacre03 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:14 am

I appreciate the replies--so it appears this is "normal" then I guess... I did call customer support last night and the person was friendly, but he just "reset" everything, instructed me to unplug/replug, and then call back if the issue continues--which of course it has. Customer service does not appear to be educated about this, otherwise they could have explained what I was seeing and that it is "normal." Oh well, I'm glad everything seems to be OK.

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:24 am

I'm not sure that "normal" is the way I would describe the behavior. Agreed, it is happening to a lot of us but that doesn't make it normal or even acceptable. If some banks, credit card companies, and others using our phone number to route us or verify who we are get an incorrect number, then it has to be fixed.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

stavesacre03

Post by stavesacre03 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:42 am

southsound wrote:I'm not sure that "normal" is the way I would describe the behavior. Agreed, it is happening to a lot of us but that doesn't make it normal or even acceptable. If some banks, credit card companies, and others using our phone number to route us or verify who we are get an incorrect number, then it has to be fixed.
I hear you. Maybe a mod will chime in with some insight/info to help clear it up. :cool:

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:11 pm

I get 786-279-3705 too. This number is disconnected it seems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_ ... nt_circuit

I could only find 2 that works. Every other is giving me 786-279-3705.

800-437-7950 MCI ANAC is telling me my calling ANI and charging ANI is my Ooma home number.
800-555-1221 This MCI ANAC is also getting my right Ooma home number.

Because a couple of them work, I suppose the erroneous info reporting is due to their system not working properly vs Ooma xmitting any wrong info?

http://www.payphone-directory.org/faq.html

"...you will have to use a toll free number which works off of ANI (Automatic Number Identification). There are a few of these out there, 1-800-444-4444 is easy to remember, but you can search the Internet for others."