Ooma firewall test needed to check blocked ports

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
murphy
Re: Ooma firewall test needed to check blocked ports

Post by murphy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:48 pm

No inbound ports need to be opened in the router.
The only time ports need to be opened is if your router blocks outbound ports.
Most residential routers do not block outbound ports.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

CodeMasterG

Post by CodeMasterG » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:59 pm

murphy wrote:No inbound ports need to be opened in the router.
The only time ports need to be opened is if your router blocks outbound ports.
Most residential routers do not block outbound ports.
Thanks very much - just moved cables so telo is behind router and rebooted. Everything working fine so far. I re-ran Shields Up test. The ping test now passes, but for some reason just TCP port 113 is now no longer stealthed.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:44 pm

If I remember correctly, port 113 is the IDENT port. I would suggest turning it off as it is not needed except with some older programs. Most older routers will have this open by default, but you should have a setting in your router to turn this port off. It is a check box in a Linksys router. Most newer routers now have this turned off, but still have the option in setup to turn it on.

CodeMasterG

Post by CodeMasterG » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. I now have my Telo behind my router/firewall and everything is working fine. I was able to setup a virtual server on my firewall for port 113 that leads to nowhere. I now get a totally clean scan from Shields Up (inluding no ping response).

jmck407

Post by jmck407 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:45 am

The cheap ($46 at bestbuy) actiontech dsl modem/router I use does allow blocking of outgoing ports. I agree with the original poster, it would be nice if there was a port test feature on the telo. I used a lot of time troubleshooting an issue with the ooma telo and firewall outgoing ports. Am not convinced the ooma infodoc on this is entirely correct, or that I might be missing something in it.

A filter group allowing the outgoing ports listed in the doc was created for the ooma telo, and the device works fine after the initial power up. I think there is/are an additional port(s) that needs to be opened when the telo first attempts to connect with the ooma network on power up. If only the outgoing ports listed in the info doc are opened up, then the telo gets stuck in a blue flashing state during a power up or recycle. If all outgoing ports are opened, then it connects, and the filter with only the ooma listed outgoing ports can be applied after the connection is established and everything works fine...at least until there is a power failure. Was going to run a network analyzer to try and see what packets were being blocked, but decided to just create a rule specific to the ooma device that allowed all ports outgoing.
Last edited by jmck407 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:03 am

jmck407 wrote:The cheap ($46 at bestbuy) actiontech dsl modem/router I use does allow blocking of outgoing ports. I agree with the original poster, it would be nice if there was a port test feature on the telco. I used a lot of time troubleshooting an issue with the ooma telco and firewall outgoing ports. Am not convinced the ooma infodoc on this is entirely correct, or that I might be missing something in it.

A filter group allowing the outgoing ports listed in the doc was created for the ooma telco, and the device works fine after the initial power up. I think there is/are an additional port(s) that needs to be opened when the telco first attempts to connect with the ooma network on power up.
Just a kind FYI...

telco = telephone company - usually the utility that provides landline service.

Telo = The Ooma Telo connects to your high-speed Internet and existing home phones, allowing you to enjoy free U.S. calls with voice quality of a land line, and exceptionally low international rates.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:24 am

jmck407 wrote:The cheap ($46 at bestbuy) actiontech dsl modem/router I use does allow blocking of outgoing ports. I agree with the original poster, it would be nice if there was a port test feature on the telco. I used a lot of time troubleshooting an issue with the ooma telco and firewall outgoing ports. Am not convinced the ooma infodoc on this is entirely correct, or that I might be missing something in it.
Actually all of the home routers that I have had experience with will block both inbound and outbound ports, depending on the level of security set in the router. I think some of the older home routers may have had different port control setups, but I haven't come accross that kind of router setup yet.

Ooma's infodoc on this is correct, they just don't give the entire amount of information to allow people to make things work.

jmck407

Post by jmck407 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:32 am

southsound wrote: Just a kind FYI...

telco = telephone company - usually the utility that provides landline service.

Telo = The Ooma Telo connects to your high-speed Internet and existing home phones, allowing you to enjoy free ]

thanks for the reminder. Mind says telo but fingers always type telco. Post edited.