How to confirm Long distance calls are going thru Ooma

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
nrk
How to confirm Long distance calls are going thru Ooma

Post by nrk » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:58 pm

I just got my Ooma 2 days ago and I am still trying to understand how the service works. I use it along with a land line (POTS) and my internet is via cable modem.

How do you confirm that long distance is going through Ooma instead of the land line (before getting the bill?)

When I logon to the Ooma lounge website and check my call logs, all my calls (both local and Long distance) show for the land line number only. That is very confusing and not clear.

Does Ooma log all out bound calls to the land line number and use the Ooma number as a virtual number?

Also, what number does the receiving person see as the caller id for long distance calls?

Thanks.

trim81

Re: How to confirm Long distance calls are going thru Ooma

Post by trim81 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:59 pm

nrk wrote:I just got my Ooma 2 days ago and I am still trying to understand how the service works. I use it along with a land line (POTS) and my internet is via cable modem.

How do you confirm that long distance is going through Ooma instead of the land line (before getting the bill?)

When I logon to the Ooma lounge website and check my call logs, all my calls (both local and Long distance) show for the land line number only. That is very confusing and not clear.

Does Ooma log all out bound calls to the land line number and use the Ooma number as a virtual number?

Also, what number does the receiving person see as the caller id for long distance calls?

Thanks.

when you hear an Ooma connect tone before the other party answers, then you are using the Ooma network.

Typically however, if you have it set up correctly, no need to fret --- it just works

thively

Post by thively » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:22 am

If you log in to the Ooma lounge and see the number you dialed in the call log, I believe this means it was definitely placed over Ooma.
If it doesn't show, then it would be because it went over POTS.

However, the Ooma connect tone is certainly an indicator (assuming you didn't shut it off.)

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:49 am

From what I understand in your case:
All incoming and all local outgoing calls use your landline. All long distance calls go through ooma.

Wayne