Next Generation Handset Design

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
EA PA
Next Generation Handset Design

Post by EA PA » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:28 pm

OOMA Folk,

I have seen a recurring theme in the forum that you have likely seen as well, but that I will highlight anyway. This theme is the poor ergonomic design of the handset in the eyes of (I hate to say it and don’t take this the wrong way), but “woman user”. In many cases, OOMA / handset systems are purchased, installed, POTS system is cancelled, and then the negative feedback from the better half about the handset design begins. In fact, words like "hate" are frequently used. In my case, my bride will not even touch it at this point. And, yes there are complaints from men, however I see the bulk of complaints made by women.

As I have said before, I do not understand it. Personally, I do not see anything wrong with the physical attributes of the phone overall and I like many of the features. Perhaps it is a compilation of shortcomings in physical and display attributes. I am sure you have a list of technical improvements compiled as well.

That said, I would highly recommend that you obtain the services of the "woman user" when it comes time to consider a re-design of the handset. If you adopt this thinking and knock off a few prototypes, I would even go so far as to offer the services of my bride to evaluate some of these. Throw them in a box and send them out! When the time comes, I can assure you that you will have PLENTY of feedback!

Absent these considerations, in many cases the handsets will remain dust collectors.
Last edited by EA PA on Sun May 15, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

lbmofo

Re: Next Generation Handset Design

Post by lbmofo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:57 pm

What are you talking about? It is a work of art! (if only if they kept the original LCD, stuck with the logo, and didn't change the charger design :) ) Show your better half this one?

Telo Handset.jpg
Telo Handset.jpg (20.32KiB)Viewed 6403 times
[/size]

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:07 pm

lbmofo wrote:What are you talking about? It is a work of art! (if only if they kept the original LCD, stuck with the logo, and didn't change the charger design :) ) Show your better half this one?

[/size]
lbmofo - thanks for the suggestion, but I will leave the art on the wall and hope for a handset she will use some day...

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Here is a side by side of: "what was designed" vs. "what came out"

Telo Handset Comparison.jpg
Telo Handset Comparison.jpg (41.93KiB)Viewed 6381 times
[/size]

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Based on the number of complaints about battery life and low charge alarms going off during the middle of the night, maybe they could add a larger battery to the next generation handset. They could use a briefcase like my first mobile phone did back in 1970 to house the extended life battery.

And the battery inside:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:51 pm

southsound wrote:Based on the number of complaints about battery life and low charge alarms going off during the middle of the night, maybe they could add a larger battery to the next generation handset. They could use a briefcase like my first mobile phone did back in 1970 to house the extended life battery.
Take this on the some of the apollo flights did you? My batt works ok, plenty of hours in standby w/o charger. Ill have to test it. An on/off switch will work just fine for me. I dont need to have the phone notify me that its going to hang up on low charge after hours of blabbing. If it hung up on me it would be a blessing in my case. Although it has been reported that the alarm does not work while you are on an active call (have to test this too) to one of the users dismay - uses for business.

Add on battery looks like a bit much for a racoon though.

Maybe they could design a Lithium Ion Battery Pack that you could swap to some tools. :D

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:10 pm

lbmofo wrote:Here is a side by side of: "what was designed" vs. "what came out"
lbmofo wrote:What are you talking about? It is a work of art! (if only if they kept the original LCD, stuck with the logo, and didn't change the charger design :) ) Show your better half this one?

Good Lord Boyet, my beauty, though but mean,
Needs not the painted flourish of your praise:
Beauty is bought by judgement of the eye,
Not utter'd by base sale of chapmen's tongues

Shakespeare in Love's Labours Lost, 1588

celblazer

Post by celblazer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:37 pm

I used to sell those briefcase phones. They were expensive like $2K plus. No number memory, 1 hour talk time if you were lucky and they only weighed a ton. I remember the first flip phone $2500 and couldn't keep them in stock. I still have one and a Motorola brick phone. LOL
southsound wrote:Based on the number of complaints about battery life and low charge alarms going off during the middle of the night, maybe they could add a larger battery to the next generation handset. They could use a briefcase like my first mobile phone did back in 1970 to house the extended life battery.

And the battery inside:

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:42 pm

celblazer wrote:I used to sell those briefcase phones. They were expensive like $2K plus. No number memory, 1 hour talk time if you were lucky and they only weighed a ton. I remember the first flip phone $2500 and couldn't keep them in stock. I still have one and a Motorola brick phone. LOL
Great collectors items!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:05 pm

SouthSound, did your extended battery double as your jet pack fuel cell? :)