DSL Termination

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
NoPayPhone
DSL Termination

Post by NoPayPhone » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:01 am

I use Ooma Premier for my office phone(in a home office). I want to port my home phone to Ooma too. I presently have my Ooma hub connected to DSL on my AT&T home phone line. The Omma web site says that I must separate voice service from DSL before porting my voice/DSL number to a second Ooma number. Unfortunately AT&T has been a hassle to deal with.

Can I just port my home phone number anyway? After the number is ported I want to terminate AT&T phone and DSL service. Then I can order AT&T Dry Loop DSL. AT&T seems to be much more receptive in dealing with new customers.

I know there will be a DSL outage. However, all my incoming Ooma calls are presently routed to my cell phone and I check messages over the internet. I don't foresee any incoming call interruption from a DSL outage. Am I correct?

If there is a problem with the hub having DSL service interrupted, can't I just temporarily install it on any DSL line?

tomcat

Re: DSL Termination

Post by tomcat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:29 am

As long as you are aware that your current DSL/phone service will be disconnected when your number is ported to Ooma, I don't see anything wrong with your plan.

daddyfizzle

Post by daddyfizzle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Why don't you order the dry loop first so you don't have a disconnect in service?

I switched from DSL to Cable and I had the Cable setup before disconnecting DSL. There was only one month of overlap but worth it for me, I need my internet!

grovesjon

Post by grovesjon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:00 pm

I have had Ooma for about a year and just got my parents to switch to Ooma from att. I was really confusing to me at first because Ooma said not to start my port on an active DSL line and I also i needed to port my number and not cancel my service with at&t.

After speaking with both companies this is what i worked out. When you Call at&t and say "cancel" they end up transferring your call the the retention team. it is their goal to keep you as a customer so they will try to give you some kind of retention offer. In my case it was $10 off each month. I declined the offer. she then explained that i needed to start the port first.( I was a little confused i thought i ported my number when i registered and gave ooma the tn i wanted but i actually had to got the the add on section and set it up) she have me her email address and told me to port my number at ooma and then let them know what date they will port the number. you need your full account number. I went on line with in a few hours i got a my conformation back from ooma. my switch to DSL only is set up for the day after my port. she said i could to it the same day but i opted for next day to not make it too complex. sitll waiting number is to be ported shortly. hope this was helpful
NoPayPhone wrote:I use Ooma Premier for my office phone(in a home office). I want to port my home phone to Ooma too. I presently have my Ooma hub connected to DSL on my AT&T home phone line. The Omma web site says that I must separate voice service from DSL before porting my voice/DSL number to a second Ooma number. Unfortunately AT&T has been a hassle to deal with.

Can I just port my home phone number anyway? After the number is ported I want to terminate AT&T phone and DSL service. Then I can order AT&T Dry Loop DSL. AT&T seems to be much more receptive in dealing with new customers.

I know there will be a DSL outage. However, all my incoming Ooma calls are presently routed to my cell phone and I check messages over the internet. I don't foresee any incoming call interruption from a DSL outage. Am I correct?

If there is a problem with the hub having DSL service interrupted, can't I just temporarily install it on any DSL line?